Strange expansion tank overflow pan installation

You guys ever see something like this? Expansion tank overflow pan is a literal cooking pan, fitted with a PVC drain that discharges into the water heater’s overflow pan. The whole thing is held onto the unit with gorilla tape.

My boss says that although it is an unusual installation method, there isnt anything wrong with it code-wise.

What do you think?

Unusual installation of what exactly? What leaking thing is that contraption there for? Expansion tanks don’t have overflows.

3 Likes

Don’t know the codes in your area, but I see all kind of metal and plastic pans in my area. then again, nothing is “against” any “codes” here either…

1 Like

Evening, Michael.
Hope this post finds you well.

What’s exactly is above the expansion tank?

2 Likes

it was dripping/leaking and the home owner rigged up the tray

1 Like

My guess is that some brilliant code inspector decided that the thermal expansion tank is a “holding tank” and therefore needs a drain pan.

1 Like

He’s right. There won’t be a code about a cookie sheet under an expansion tank. I’d write it up.

3 Likes

Clueless Homeowner/Handyman Special

1 Like

You may say the pan under the expansion tank is not required. The proximity of the plastic pan to the draft hood is not recommended and should be removed.

Also recommend the expansion tank be supported by other than piping material.

1 Like

It must be some sort of April 1st special.

If the expansion tank is leaking from the air valve, the bladder has failed and the tank needs replaced, if it’s leaking at the pipe connection point, which I’ve seen due to dissimilar metal corrosion, the tank needs replaced.

There is no reason to have a cookie sheet with a drain pipe affixed to the tank in that manner.

My guess is that in the past, the homeowner probably had an expansion tank leak and do damage. This just makes this homeowner sleep better at night…just one less thing to fret over. (there are people like that).

Was this someone’s idea of adding support to the expansion tank in stead of straps?

Legit concern.

1 Like

I’m new here; it looks like the TPRV is terminated thru a wall, and does the pan also terminate thru the wall? I was under the impression that they had to terminate at least 6" from a drain and not thru a wall or floor

Going thru the wall is fine. It will terminate outside with clearance if done right.

Welcome back to our forum, Zachary!..Enjoy! :smile: