Stucco flashing question

Once before I confused a weep screed with a control joint. Don’t want to do that again. What about this one? Weep screed or control joint?

Pic 1: 030511 215.JPG Pic 2: 030511 178.JPG

Proper flashing for a door (below)?

Pic 3: 030511 217.JPG

Thanks.

The Flashing maybe a Weep Flashing, not possible to see in your picture, but the others are control joints, nothing more.

And the Window is not flashed right, a I’m sure you know.

None of the photos I showed illustrate what I think a weep screed should look like.

I thought a weep screed would look like this:

http://www.phillipsmfg.com/images/prod/svpbt/screeds/7SCREED.jpg

Or like this:

http://www.phillipsmfg.com/images/prod/svpbt/screeds/JWEEP.jpg

And a control joint should look like this (which is what I think is in Pic 2).

http://www.metallathinfo.com/images/newsletter1003-2b.jpg

Hi Joe

A stucco contractor can strike control joints in the finish just using Lath without what you have pictured, basically like a concrete floor, but a wall.

Use a Chalk-Line, strike control joints with tool, helps alleviate a lot of cracking.

The weep flashing you have posted is weep. Can’t see if what is installed without destructive testing. Doesn’t look right from here.

And by looking at the window without backer-rod-sealant joints, destined to fail.

The “weep-screed” is generally reserved for the lowest termination point of the stucco system. While “weep-screed” is a flashing, it is perforated and serves a specific purpose.

Standard flashings are used around windows, doors, roof-transitions, etc., and are not usually perforated except for nail-holes.

Jeff, did the horizontal flashing in pic. 2 look like a weep screed to you? That’s where the wood framing meets the foundation wall. Pic 1 also is where the wall framing meets the foundation.

Thanks Dale. You’re always very helpful.

I don’t see anything resembling a weep-screed in any of the pictures in your original post. They all appear to be standard flashings.

post #1
pic 1 & 3 appear to be a common head flashing

http://www.buildingscience.com/documents/information-sheets/3-water-management-and-vapor-control/common-flashing-details/images/bscinfo_303_figure_01.jpg

this is seldom seen

http://www.westeckwindows.com/illus/london4.jpg

post #3
top pic is a conventional weep screed
bottom pic is perforated grounds 66 casing bead and is not a weep screed although many munis allow it in lieu of a real weep screed “that’s the way the installers around here do it” no need for us code inspectors to ruffle any good ol’ boy feathers

the code makes no mention of 66 casing in lieu of weep screed

bscinfo_303_figure_01.jpg

london4.jpg

Doesn’t matter what type of siding it is up here. They put the head flashings on wrong 99% of the time. Usually they just put the flashing on top of the house wrap and cover it with the siding. Of course they also install the windows incorrectly most of the time.

Luckily we have very very very few true hard coat stucco applications up here and only a few more EIFS. Thanks for that.

What I thought. Thanks Jeff.

They install Weep Flashing here where Stucco may meet Concrete, regardless of the location, half way up the wall, any transition between a different product such as wood framing, CMU or Concrete wall, Concrete tilt walls, or what-ever, will or “Should” have a weep at that transition with a different plane in the exterior wall framing so water could exit if necessary. I’m thinking commercial, not residential, my example is commercial construction in the southwest.

Not what Joe has posted in the first pics., his looks like a mess regardless of what it is…or where it is.

Joe,
Some interesting photos. Following are my thoughts:

Is photo #1 at the top of the foundation? This is an atypical location for the visible flashing. It appears to be a “water table” type of flashing between the Hard Coat Stucco (HCS) above and foundation below where the HCS may have come down on top of the foundation wall requiring the flashing that is visible. The bottom of the HCS should have a weep casing as shown in the lower photo of the 1:43 Post: there is discussion as to whether weep holes are absolutely necessary in a bottom termination casing, however, I prefer to see them. The upper photo in the 1:43 post is what is technically defined as a Weep Screed; it does not appear to be present in the photo. A weep screed as noted is typically used at the bottom of walls to lap the top of the foundation.

Photo #2 appears to be the intersection of control joints as shown in 9:45 AM post.

Photo#3. Is of a window jamb and head detail. As previously noted the sealant joint around the window is incorrect per NWCB specifications; however, some HCS manufacturers allow what there. I agree with comment that it will fail if constructed as picture shows. The head has a head flashing; we can not see if flashing properly integrated with flashing papers and weather resistive barrier above window during a home inspection. Ideally, there should be an end dam on the window head flashings and drainage provisions above the flashing to let incidental water out of the wall cladding. Most manufacturers call for sealing of the window head flashing to the window head below; this appears to be missing.

Thus,
Photo #1 need some additional information to determine if a problem or not.

Photo #2 appears to be proper although not common on single family homes in Metro Denver.

Photo #3 warrants further investigation by a stucco expert such as an EDI or AWCI certified stucco professional.

Hope this helps.
Ron