Stucco thickness

**Yes, there is a minimum, it is a two coat system (for CMU) at 3/8" for the scratch and 1/8" for the finish on CMU. You are also correct that builders very seldom do it correctly, allow curing, etc. **

We’re having big problems with stucco in our KB Homes community. Per our turnover study done by the association’s engineer, KB Homes did not apply the correct thickness of stucco. They also put OSB under the stucco, we have water intrusion issues around windows, doors, and balconies and now the OSB is bloating behind the stucco and the stucco is cracking. The local media has covered our neighborhood story since September. All of the news stories, photos, and videos can be seen at http://TheKBHome.com

I finally had some time to go through this material and it is top notch. Thanks for sharing it Barry. I am sure I will be referring back to it often.

Reference:

Florida Building Code Residential Chapter 7
Table: 703.13
7/8 inch over wire lath
1/2 inch over masonry units
3/8 inch over precast or cast in place concrete

Thanks Mark

Let me know when you find one, it’d be the first. :shock:

I here what your saying, but believe it or not there are some builders all be it very few and far between that do it right. I had the good fortune to work for one in my past life.

We slump tested all concrete pours and included cylinder break tests (psi) at 7, 14, and 28 days.
Random batch testing of stucco mix (third party testing lab)
Bore testing stucco to verify minimum thickness
PH test to assure stucco cured before painting

Mark you might as well give them a plug. I am sure we all would appreciate knowing who is doing things right instead of just tossing mud at those who may not be doing things right.

So did I.
I would be willing to bet, that a majority of the work I did is still intact today, 30 years later…
1/2 inch…never heard of it!
A majority of the walls the stucco I was applying to were so “out” it would take at least a 1/2 an inch…for the scratch coat!

Yep like I said in the past most of the time getting the wall straight suffices :slight_smile:

Apples and oranges…Stucco or cementitious coating on block or concrete walls is more of a cosmetic choice.