Stucco

Thank you for sharing you experiencs.

My experience is only over 2 decades and thousands upon thousands homes and I guess that is not enough for Mr. Jonas.

Still waiting on them posts Jeff.

years of common practice and ahj ignorance does not constitute advised installation or best practice

below grade app. my or may not be a significant pest, moisture or aesthetic issue in certain climates but is not approved by any material manufacturer that i’ve read…ymmv

i’m open minded, show me

Call me when you get in the area and look around. Try finding one not like he describes. Good Luck.

I would like to see an example where termites entered a home, on a concrete block home, from underneath the stucco, adhered to a concrete block wall.

99% of Florida homes have stucco to grade.

Does that include wood framed houses as well???

I hate to say it but Meeker is right, well partly. The published works say to end the stucco above grade but I know of no AHJ that calls for it on a block home. The reasoning I’ve seen is mostly for moisture controll but both are cement and if the block/ slab is at or below grade it’s going to suck up just as much moisture. I’ve been in construction since high school ( a looooong time), got my CBC license in 1981 and have never seen the stucco end above grade unless there was a wood wall involved.

Chris,

2006 IRC… [703.6.2.1] Weep screed: req’d min. 4 inches above earth 2 inches above paved areas.

I don’t know what code cycle your area is on. Take the above info for what it’s worth.

The small town I am in, and others around it are still on 2006. (Until tomorrow).

Localized areas in Florida, may have differing “standards”. My local AHJ requires 6" & 4".

As you know, codes~local standards~local customs are all different. Which one are your business decisions and reports based upon? It’s a simple decision for most of us.

I don’t wager with idiots, and I certainly will not waste my valuable time searching for any post concerning you.

Eric,

I won’t intentionally drag you into Meekers pissin’ match, but a simple question…

Just because you haven’t seen something, does that make it wrong?

Those of us that have been around a while, have heard a contractor at least once use the line (concerning a reported defect) "I have been building it that way for 30 years!!!

Even so, does that make it right? The standard response is: “Well, you’ve been building it wrong for 30 years”.

Thanks for your thoughts Glenn. Just a quick question…

Don’t you guys have landscaping down there? Most homes you cannot see the termination point unless standing close to the wall (most cases).

Keep holding your breath… please!

John and Barry… thanks for your unbiased opinions.

Thanks for sharing your experiences Lawrence.

I guess I will not have to write that apology :slight_smile:

I wouldn’t accept one from you anyway. :nah:

****Portland cement plaster has high impact resistance and sheds water, but breathes, allowing water vapor to escape. It’s a proven system that works in all climates.

Stucco over concrete masonry is popular, in part, because it is very durable in high humidity environments. Although most prevalent in Florida, stucco is estimated to be used on as much as 20% of block installed in the U.S. Where this kind of finish is also subject to high winds, concern has been raised about how well it resists wind-driven rain.Q: Is stucco suited for use in a coastal environment?

A: Portland cement plaster is suited to virtually every type of climate, whether wet or dry and hot or cold. It is popular in coastal environments because it is unaffected by moisture, but when metal lath is part of the system, there are potential concerns due to the elevated chloride levels in the environment.

Applying stucco over metal lath. In coastal areas, air is literally salty: it carries chlorides. This is an aggressive ion that corrodes metal. Hardened plaster is not affected by chlorides. If the plaster is direct-applied to concrete or masonry backup, there is little or no metal reinforcement in the plaster. If a 3-coat system is installed, whether the backup is frame construction or to achieve mechanical bond over a solid substrate, metal lath is attached to structural supports to hold the plaster to the wall. The lath is required to be galvanized, and embedding it in a highly alkaline environment like portland cement plaster provides added protection from corrosion

source:…http://www.cement.org/stucco/faq_plaster.asp

The fact is that it is done that way for a reason. The stucco along with proper sealing, add another barrier which protects the block from water intrusion. It also provides a cleaner finished appearance.

Back when I did stucco work, it was how I was taught. I have never seen it done the way the op suggested.

I have lived all of my life in Florida, almost 51 years. It has always been done that way and if it were wrong, one would conclude that a different method would be employed by now.

Agree with Meeker. Thats just how its done here(South Florida) And Mike is a Stucco specialty contractor, so I would value his advice.

Thanks you for an actual explanation/description other than “That’s just how we do it down here”.

Other than cosmetics, is there an actual & factual advantage to your installation methods?