Sub/remote panel questions

Hello all, Did an inspection on a 10 yr. old condo today. From what I understand the panel for the condo should be wired as a sub/remote panel (99.9% sure) but it was not (wired like the main service). Before I recommend sending an electrician out I would like to make sure I am correct.

There was only one switch/main disconnect for two units/condos - never saw this before.

In the panel in the basement grounds and neutrals are on the same bus, and the neutrals are bonded to the panel along with the grounds. Both bus bars were also bonded to each other.

Please see attached photos. The first three pic are of the out side disconnect for both units (one switch). The other two are overall shots of the panel in the basement.

You have two meters, a service disconnect to the left of it with a 4-wire feeder to the subpanel and a service panel (photo #4) with a 200 amp main service disconnect (3 wire service entrance conductors) most likely behind the meter.

Robert, in picture 4 I only see the red, black and white conductors from the center PVC conduit. Where is the grounding conductor?

To Mike, the branch circuit cables entering the panel are incorrect. The nipples are not long enough.

From the 2008 NEC:

© Cables. Where cable is used, each cable shall be secured
to the cabinet, cutout box, or meter socket enclosure.
Exception: Cables with entirely nonmetallic sheaths shall
be permitted to enter the top of a surface-mounted enclosure
through one or more nonflexible raceways not less
than 450 mm (18 in.) and not more than 3.0 m (10 ft) in
length, provided all of the following conditions are met:
(a) Each cable is fastened within 300 mm (12 in.),
measured along the sheath, of the outer end of the raceway.
(b) The raceway extends directly above the enclosure
and does not penetrate a structural ceiling.
© A fitting is provided on each end of the raceway to
protect the cable(s) from abrasion and the fittings remain
accessible after installation.
(d) The raceway is sealed or plugged at the outer end
using approved means so as to prevent access to the enclosure
through the raceway.
(e) The cable sheath is continuous through the raceway
and extends into the enclosure beyond the fitting not
less than 6 mm (1⁄4 in.).
(f) The raceway is fastened at its outer end and at
other points in accordance with the applicable article.
(g) Where installed as conduit or tubing, the allowable
cable fill does not exceed that permitted for complete conduit
or tubing systems by Table 1 of Chapter 9 of this Code
and all applicable notes thereto.

There are two meters and two service disconnects, one is next to the meter enclosure the other is in the service panel in photo #4. That’s why there are only three conductors in the PVC raceway because those are the service entrance conductors that come directly from the second meter. In the upper left of photo #4 you will also see the GEC’s which terminate in the service.

Oh, I read it as the outside disconnect was the service for both units.

So now we have two services that are not grouped?

Yes. Just for the record I’m only making an educated guess based on the photo’s. :smiley:

Thank you both for your help.

Robert, I just want to make sure I am understanding correctly.

The exterior disconnect is for a sub panel in the other condo. The panel I inspected in the basement is wired correctly than because it is the main panel for that condo. The 200 amp breaker is the main disconnect for that condo. Right?

You are correct about the GECs upper left.

Thank you very much!

Sorry Jim, That’s what I was thinking. I wasn’t familiar with this type of a set up.