Subflooring flexing in hallway

I performed an inspection this afternoon on a home constructed in 1975 and while walking down the hallway I noticed the floor flexed.

The basement had a drop ceiling and I could see the subflooring flex between the floor joists as the buyer walked down the hallway. No water damage anywhere, 16" C-C joists, joists not flexing, subfloor glued. No markings indicating type of subflooring that were noticeable. No noise, just flexed noticeably.

My assumption is the subfloor is thin. (1/2"?). Thoughts on how to comment are greatly appreciated.

OSB or plywood? Carpet finished floor? You probably identified the issue; subfloor material not thick enough. I’ve seen it visibly sagging between joists during remodels, especailly if it’s OSB.

Why don’t you just report your observations. Hallway floor flexed as I walked it. Subfloor was observed to give when weight was applied.

8 Likes

I can’t imagine anywhere in the US where half inch subfloor was allowed in 1975…as the finished floor thickness…

6 Likes

Since the actual cause for the hallway flooring to flex could not be determined. I would probably write it up as follows.

“At time of the inspection the (Location) flooring felt soft and flexed when walked upon. This type of condition is consistent with some type of damage to the flooring components and/or was poorly or improperly repaired. The actual cause and concern for this condition was not visible and could not be determined, our recommendations are for further evaluation from a qualified licensed contractor and any corrective repair that may be necessary that meets with current standard requirements.”

3 Likes

The floor is not supposed to flex under your feet unless you’re 800 pounds :slight_smile: Do not attempt to determine the issue because a) it’s not your job and b) it requires an invasive inspection. Write it up and let a contractor figure it out (if the buyer sees it as an issue to them). We, certainly, cannot determine the problem based on the information provided. Yes, it can absolutely be improper subfloor [thickness] or some such else.

1 Like

Plywood, w parquet and carpet covering. Appeared to be original construction

I would write it up as excessive flex was noticed when walking on the hallway floor. Have a qualified contractor make corrections as needed.

4 Likes

Morning, Chris.
Hope this post finds you well.
No assumptions. Only observations.

Personally I would consider changing the narrative. Bouncy spongy floors, Location: Main floor hallway situated in the center of the home running perpendicular yada yada yada…

Secondly, what structural components could you observed while you where in-between the drop ceiling and subflooring? Columns, Beams, Joists, Sheathing?

Upon further examination, the prospective purchasers traversed the hallway as I personally watched the flooring sag under live loading as they walked.

*Note: Even structurally sound, code-compliant floors can deflect, or flex, more than feels comfortable,

1 Like