Sump pump on new construction

Originally Posted By: kgrabowski
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

This is a question regarding the drainage pipes that go into a sump pit, (not the discharge line which comes from the pit and terminates outside).

With regards to this type of pipe, what is it supposed to be made of? Is it hard shell, abs, pvc or some kind of plastic or is it the same type of perforated pipe that comes in from around the foundation wall? (the perforated type with a sock around it). Also I am assuming it should be sloped into the sump pit?

A builder has assured me that the pipe is ok if it is the perforated type with the sock around it coming from the outside of the foundation walls. I though it was a hard plastic type that is connected to the perforated sock type. What kind of connections should be used in connecting the two different types of pipes if the builder is wrong?

KG

Originally Posted By: ckratzer

Kerri,

Perforated drain tile,(the very same that goes around the foundation perimeter) connects into the sump bucket with fittings designed to match the tile. I'm at that stage of my most current build job. I wish I had photos for you.

Sorry, forgot the other question.

Slope on the tile wouldn't do much good since it has holes in it.The tile is just lain over a gravel bed and more gravel is placed on top.

Sounds like the builder did O.K.

Originally Posted By: kgrabowski

Wish you had photos for me too. Its actually the municipal inspector who says that the pipe from the weeping tile that comes in from the foundation walls has to be connected to a solid pipe which connects into the pit.

I will take some photos today and post them for you...see what you think.

Thanks for your input for now.

KG

Kerri,sounds like in your case municiple code might be what your builder has to follow.

Have you checked with codes administration ?

In my area the method I described has always been approved as kosher.

Kerri,

Back again.

I looked up IRC. 2003 foundation drainage; section R405

R405.1

“…Drainage tiles,gravel or crushed stone drains, perforated pipe or other approved systems or materials shall be installed at or below the area to be protected and shall discharge by gravity or mechanical means”(sump pump)

My three guesses are
1.Your local falls into "other approved material"

2.Local adopted code

3.The codes inspector could be wrong.(good luck with that one)

I actually had a project where two inspectors got in a mouth fight with each other over the type of tape my HVAC boys used on duct work.
I got a good chuckle out of it.