Support Concern Garage Attic Framing

Hey Guys,

I was performing a new construction inspection the other day. The engineered truss system was made of 2x4s with 2x3 angled support boards (the cheaper engineered trusses). I had some concerns about the overall strength of the framing at the attic above the garage. No additional beams, no increased size of framing members, and joist connections (truss plates) at the center of the ceiling joists with no additional support (no beam, no sistered boards, no center columns garage).

I plan on mentioning the concern in the report and recommending that the design be verified against the blue prints (I was not provided blue prints). Hoping to get the 2-cents of some fellow inspectors as well. Property is in central Texas.

Andy - The Austin Home Inspector

Your attached photo does not indicate there is any provision for an “attic space”, just the roof structure itself. Not sure why you would say anything, as there is no requirement for ‘attic space’, unless indicated in the home plans which you claim you do not have access to.

Aren’t you with the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers? What does your Engineering training say about the situation?

I’m not sure what the problem is that your trying to figure out. Don’t see anything in that photo that would need calling out. Why is you think the need a beam or colums in the garage area. Is it different from the house portion of roof structure?

I don’t see anything in the picture that concerns me. And that opinion is coming from 30 years framing experience.

Please elaborate on the issue you have with this structure. You really can’t justify writhing this up on a hunch.

You seem like your making a issue of nothing… and a STRUCTURAL issue at that.

While it is only one photo, and I’d never make a ruling based on photos, I will say this: I see factory-made trusses, with an apparent manufacturer’s stamp on the web members. Someone else appears to own the liability for the design.

I would have more concerns about the plumbing in the attic. Is that header and yellow tubing at the upper left CSST gas conduit? Sure looks like it. Around here, CSST systems need be bonded and grounded. I don’t see any bonding clamps or wires. If it were me, I would have checked for clamps and advised the client to have it checked for proper grounding. Some states actually require you write in your report that CSST is present in the home.

Jeez, I think you guys scared him off! Only one post every 9 months we probably won’t hear back from him until next year?:wink:

Sometimes I wonder if I’m ready to do my first paid inspection… then I read post like this from people who are out there working in the field… makes me wonder sometimes.

As with a majority of the posters on the string, I see no issues.

jhynes, send a mock inspection out to someone with credibility, shadow a homie outside your area for a couple of days, and get your feet wet after:-)

Best of luck!
We are all in this together and all pulling for you:-)
Regards.

Thanks for the support, I’m actually travelling to Nova Scotia at the end of the month for the purpose of shadowing a inspector for a couple days to get at least a half dozen in the field inspections under my belt.

I will also be writing my own reports for these inspections, when I do I will submit theme to my peers for review.

Thanks Again for he support!

Andrew,

I don’t see anything that concerns me in your photograph, however, if it puts your mind at ease then definitely make a comment about it in your report. I would sit back and take a minute to word that comment in a way that alerts the buyer to your concerns but doesn’t make them think that you feel that their house is falling down.