Tax Time Question

Originally Posted By: John Murray
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I was just wondering how most of you filed your business taxes after your first year in HI!

Did you do them yourself or use an accountant?

Originally Posted By: bhendry

I saw a Money magazine article many years ago that compared the results of a “test case” tax return. They tested H&R Block, various CPA’s, and other typical services. The range (spread) of the refund amount was alarming.

Since then I have done my own taxes using TurboTax (premier home & business). It really doesn't interest me like it used to, and I'd really rather dump it all onto a CPA. My concern is that who is going to look out for me better than me - you know what I mean.

Bill Hendry
www.HandyHomeInspections.com

Originally Posted By: wcampbell

We used to use H&R Block then one time I went to a CPA and they looked at my prievious 3 yrs returns that Block had done. They refiled them and got me back over $3000.

Sometimes I think that H&R Block may be working for IRS. ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

--
This Ole House-Home Inspections
William A. Campbell TREC # 6372
Serving the Texas Coastal Bend
(361) 727-0602 (home)
(361) 727-0055 (office)
(361) 229-4103 (cell)

Originally Posted By: kleonard

A CPA is the ONLY way to go.

Kevin ![icon_smile.gif](upload://b6iczyK1ETUUqRUc4PAkX83GF2O.gif)

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

I used to use a CPA, then Turbo Tax. I compared Turbo Tax to the one done by my CPA, and there was almost no difference. She depreciated some equipment over a shorter time (by two years) than I did, but both were “legal”. She was $400, Turbo Tax is $99, and I always had to do all of the prelim stuff anyway. $301 buys a lot of Bud!! icon_lol.gif

Originally Posted By: rpalac

I lye, lye, lye,lye…

I declare that I am my own religion and have off shore acounts and am good friends with Al Sharpton...

Then I got incriminating pictures I doctored up of Greenspan, doing it with the pres , the head of the FBI and the IRS director...

I'm good for now..

Well truth be told...
I use to file privately and it became to cumbersome with the investments and busnesse. I use a cost effective friend who is a CPA and got burt. He saved me some money but not enough. Then I had a three year audit repeal b7y the IRS. THAT WAS THE WORST FEELING> I have since found a very reputable CPA who deals in specifically the type of stuff I'm involved in ....REAL ESTATE and CORPORATIONS. He has been the best. We stilll do a priliminary preperation our selve and then we have the Accountant go over it and file for us. That way he finds additional saveings, keeps the records, corrects any miss aplied funds, and HOLD RESPONSIBILITY IF WE ARE AUDITED AGAIN. Ever ypenny I spend on him is worth ten flod.

POs. I use to have a pictur of the last super on the living room wall with John F. Kennedy Next to it. Now I also Have a picture of Glen my accountant on the other side of the Last Supper......(hahaha...just a little humor.)

Bob p.

Originally Posted By: gjohnson

I do my taxes my self. Of course I have a degree in finance and love money so I have been doing them for ever. I do have some freinds that are accountants and I have let them look over my books for me and the have told me that they could not do much better. My advice is that is you dont’ have much experience with business tax laws then please get some one to do them for you.

There is nothing like getting that IRS audit letter.

--
Gary (Snicker's) Johnson - Free NACHOS
The NACHI Foundation
Executive Director

301-591-9895

Originally Posted By: John Murray

Thanks for your responses.

Looks like I’ll be looking for a CPA.

Kachingo!

More start-up expenses.

icon_twisted.gif