Tech school vs. crash course(AHIT)

Originally Posted By: rob
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Tech school vs. crash course(AHIT). I feel like the 6 day crash course sounds too good to be true. What do you guys think? Pros/Cons?

Thanks in advance icon_biggrin.gif

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

You’ll need far longer than 6 days to enter this field.

bwiley wrote:
You'll need far longer than 6 days to enter this field.
I was pretty sure of that. Im just wondering most of the inspector schools show 50-80 hours of study where the college is about 200 hours. The college program has 5 classes for a totall of 15 credits. Quite a difference, Im wondering do the inspector schools teach just enough to get by and a license? Or does the real college teach more than I need to know? Or is the real school just more in depth and paced.

Originally Posted By: tallen

rob wrote:
bwiley wrote:
You'll need far longer than 6 days to enter this field.
I was pretty sure of that. Im just wondering most of the inspector schools show 50-80 hours of study where the college is about 200 hours. The college program has 5 classes for a totall of 15 credits. Quite a difference, Im wondering do the inspector schools teach just enough to get by and a license? Or does the real college teach more than I need to know? Or is the real school just more in depth and paced.

Did you take NACHI's online test???

--
I have put the past behind me,
where , however, it now sits, making rude remarks.

www.whiteglovehomeinspections.net

30 Oct 2003-- 29 Nov2005

I will tell you the truth.

I took 577 credit hours of school, 19 years of OJT, and 60 hours of parrelel inspections, and I learned a lot of stuff that does not matter to a Home Inspector. My previous experience and my parallels taught me more than any class will teach you.

I have learned more from this MB and others like it then any school or previous experience will ever teach you.

Take a couple of weeks and scan the search function on this message board, if you spend the time to read it you will, most likely be way ahead of your competition.

Best of luck,

--

30 Oct 2003-- 29 Nov2005

tallen wrote:

What is the test for? If its an inspector test why would I take it now with no training? And what does this have to do with my question? Ive been in construction for 10 years and my body cant take it for another 30. Im just looking for the best, most efficient path to get qualified/ or a license to be able to do a good job.
Thanks again

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

Rob.

The amount of training required will depend upon you, your experience, your aptitude, your commitment, and your desire to have the knowledge you need to succeed. For some this is the 200 hour course. For others, 80 hours is enough. Some will be idiots with 600 hours. If you have licensing in your state, they will specify the minimum requirements for education, testing, experience, etc.

You can never have too much education, or practical experience.

Good Luck.

rob wrote:
tallen wrote:

What is the test for? If its an inspector test why would I take it now with no training? And what does this have to do with my question? Ive been in construction for 10 years and my body cant take it for another 30. Im just looking for the best, most efficient path to get qualified/ or a license to be able to do a good job.
Thanks again

take the damn test.

If you fail .......Well, try home depote.

Point is the test is a min. requirement for even thinking about being a Home Inspector.

--

30 Oct 2003-- 29 Nov2005

bwiley wrote:
Rob.

The amount of training required will depend upon you, your experience, your aptitude, your commitment, and your desire to have the knowledge you need to succeed. For some this is the 200 hour course. For others, 80 hours is enough.
You can never have too much education, or practical experience.

Good Luck.

Quote:
Some will be idiots with 600 hours. If you have licensing in your state, they will specify the minimum requirements for education, testing, experience, etc.

Hey, Thats not nice!!!

--

30 Oct 2003-- 29 Nov2005

tallen wrote:
take the damn test.

Yes sir... score 79 in 30 min. sounded pathetic but it said I passed, so any way????

Originally Posted By: James D Mosier

Take the test now to see where you currently stand. I got about 85% the first day I found this site. I felt pretty good about that considering I have no professional building type background.

In the two years or so since, I have read just about every post here, re-read some, attended four NACHI meetings, took AHIT's 70 hour course and poked and prodded just about every house I've been in as well as tagged along when a friend of mine had his house inspected.

I haven't taken the test again but will eventually. I better be in the high 90s then.

--
Jim Mosier

rob wrote:
tallen wrote:
take the damn test.

Yes sir... score 79 in 30 min. sounded pathetic but it said I passed, so any way????

Hey, you passed , thats great. Now move on to the messasge board and read and keep on reading , and when you are are done start posting.!!

My best wishes to you ,

Todd Allen

--

30 Oct 2003-- 29 Nov2005

Originally Posted By: gbeaumont

Todd wrote:
Now move on to the messasge board and read and keep on reading , and when you are are done start posting.!!

That is the best advise that I have read in quite sometime, we all learn every day.

Regards

Gerry

--
Gerry Beaumont
NACHI Education Committee
e-mail : education@nachi.org
NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Inspection Depot Education
gbeaumont@inspectiondepot.com

"Education is a journey, not a destination"

Originally Posted By: lewens

Rob

I took the AHIT course and found it a very good basic understanding of defect recognition. I come from a background of 37 years as a contractor wich gave me the basis to understand what was being presented. The hardest thing for me was getting my head around the change from looking at problems as a contractor to that of a home inspector. Once you grasp that you are well on your way to being a good inspector. If you don’t have a background in the trades I suggest you take a much longer course to understand the building as a system rather than the component parts. If you can see the building as a total envelope and what all sysyems are and how they relate to one another you are on your way.

Just my never humble opinion.

Larry eusa_clap.gif

Just my usual 12.5 cents

From The Great White North Eh?
NACHI-CAN
www.aciss-brant.com
www.certifiedadulttrainingservices.com/