Terminology, and its proper use by an inspector

Let’s discuss this image as it relates to the terms defined as the EGC, EBJ, Grounded Conductor, and Neutral, the metal cabinet, and any other equipment, or terms associated with it.

Courtesy: www.iaei.org

http://www.bussmann.com/library/arcflash/PDMaintenance.ppt

A little to commercial for my tastes as a Home Inspector , but it looks like the Grounds are bonded to the panel.

The neutrals are floating, and what the heck is the resistor looking tape I have no idea?

Is that some kinda special panel for bonding.

Never seen anything like it. Joe whats the yellow?, and in your special laymans terms that you love please.

It looks like they were identifying isolated grounds coming from certain types of equipment/panels.

Yes, that’s it and the green with yellow stripe for compliance with 250.119 is often run to minimize electrical noise (electromagnitic inteference) from creating problems in electronic equipment is permitted by Article 250.

Greg is very famiiar with this issue when he worked for IBM

Joe , when you use code numbers I am lost.
Please explain with out using complicated code.
I doubt I am the only one .

Unless required elsewhere in this Code, equipment grounding conductors can be bare, covered, or insulated.

Individually covered or insulated equipment grounding conductors must have a continuous outer finish that is either green or green with one or more yellow stripes except as permitted in this section.

Conductors with insulation or individual covering that is green, green with one or more yellow stripes, or otherwise identified as permitted by this section cannot be used for ungrounded or grounded circuit conductors.

Conductors Larger Than 6 AWG

An insulated or covered conductor larger than 6 AWG is permitted, at the time of installation, to be permanently identified as an equipment grounding conductor at each end and at every point where the conductor is accessible.

Conductors larger than 6 AWG shall not be required to be marked in conduit bodies that contain no splices or unused hubs.

Identification must encircle the conductor and must be accomplished by one of the following:

a. Stripping the insulation or covering from the entire exposed length

b. Coloring the exposed insulation or covering green

c. Marking the exposed insulation or covering with green tape or green adhesive labels

cannot be used for ungrounded or grounded circuit conductors ?

That part makes no sense. (it means all)

Bob, except grounding conductors…

EXACTLY.

Grounded and ungrounded conductors are current carrying conductors.

Grounding conductors are not.