Terrible BC inspectors on Global tv News

I fail to see the relevance of a reporter wanting to be an inspector. Just because somone is able to pass the test does not demonstrate these people actually go on to inspect. There is only one person that I know of that may not actually have gained proper admittance requirements in NACHI, but thats another issue…

Regardless no one has proven to the contrary that Nachi is turning out unqualified, unprepared, unethical, contrary to the opinion of our guest.

Mr. Gilmore has been an outspoken critic of Nachi on his website. Someone asked earlier if there maybe a conflict or bias? Gee just maybe, eh? HELLO! TV report = Ted Gilmore BCIPI, good advertising for BCIPI, … not so good for NACHI regardless of the spin put on by the news piece, and no so good for realtors!

Proctored exams would certainly be a good start. I think the issue of someone misrepresenting themselves is different than the issue exposed on the news piece. They were showing how anyone, even people with no knowledge or experience, can become a Certified Home Inspector, not how some Certified Home Inspectors are misrepresenting themselves as such. I’m not disagreeing with you. I also think we have a responsibility to police our own. I’m just saying that with the proper checks and balances, news reporters or any other neophytes would be unable to get certified as easily as they do here. Just my opinion here, but I think no one should be certified in any field prior to receiving a proper education in their chosen vocation.

Norm

That’s another issue altogether, but your right about the bias part. Regarding the reporter, I think your missing the point. They are trying to show the public that you can’t trust your home inspector to be competent just because he or she is certified. To prove it, this reporter took the quiz and got 91%. The message they wanted to put out was: Watch it. Check the guy out before trusting him. Make sure he’s been certified through a legitimate professional association. (I’m not saying we aren’t, onlty that that’s what they were trying to make it sound like.)

Norm

A reporter can become a certified home inspector if she fulfills www.nachi.org/rigorous2006.htm and there is nothing NACHI can do to stop her.

Insurance actuaries will tell you the same thing, most poor inspections are not due to inspector incompetence, but rather on-site inspector laziness and there isn’t an exam invented that can predict that.

Prior to joining NACHI anyone in B.C. can legally hold themselves out to be a home inspector and charge their first unsuspecting client, but if someone joins NACHI, they may not do their first inspections for consumers. They have to do 4 mock inspections as per www.nachi.org/membership.htm

I don’t know of any other association that prohibits an applicant from doing his/her first inspections for actual consumers.

I spoke with the reporter Ms. Yong today on the telephone and she confessed that she did not pass NACHI’s entrance exam nor did she fulfill NACHI’s entrance requirements www.nachi.org/membership.htm . In other words, she confessed today by telephone that she had in fact committed a fraud when she signed her affidavit.

But there are exams that can greatly lessen and even prevent cheating. No offence, Nick, but you are making excuses for something that is your fault and that you do not wish to fix.

Do you think that reporter could become a certified member of BCIPI? She could, but it would take a lot longer than the hour it took her to get into here. That’s the problem, and that’s always been the problem, and that will always be the problem until you decide to recognize and repair it.

How to Become Certified as a House or Property Inspector
http://www.asttbc.org/bcipi_index.html

Norm

Dave Stated:

Thats the problem. There is no self policing because home inspectors over seeing themselves from a governance point of view has failed misrerably administering their own rules. You cannot have members adhering to stringent rules while on the other hand the governance is rotten. No outside oversite results in abuses, this has been proven time and time again in the corporate world. And we have documented proof of other lapses.

Even CAHPI and the national is self regulating and self governing, just as Nachi is.

Entry requirements are different between the two associations. There is no proof indicating this is a concern.

Niether association can assure the consumer will receive a good inspection that is the inspectors responsibility. Look no further than the medical profession, realtors, and lawyers. Professionals have disfunctional members too. To equate Nachi of having a disproporationate number of unqualified is not found in statiscal data. We know that CAHPI and OAHI have had their fair share of members being sued for negligence and/or breach of contract.

The issues of inferiority do not bare well under closer scrutiny in my opinion.

Complaints to both Associations are likely very minimal, at best, otherwise the government would have stepped in long ago. This is not the case.

Ya, that sounds totally believable. Reporters often admit to their frauds to perfect strangers who call up out of the blue, especially to those who could sue them. Happens all the time. :roll:

I guess she fudged the “91%” passing score from NACHI that was showing up on her computer screen. :roll:

Come on, don’t insult our inteligence.

Norm

*I spoke with the reporter Ms. Yong today on the telephone and she confessed that she did not pass NACHI’s entrance exam nor did she fulfill NACHI’s entrance requirements www.nachi.org/membership.htm . In other words, she confessed today by telephone that she had in fact committed a fraud when she signed her affidavit.

*Affidavitt?

On the show the screen showed, I believe 92 percent as a score? Whose score was that? Are you suggesting a member of BCIPI assissted in the fraud?

Everyone who are not members of Nachi seem to think that by passing the online exam you automatically become a Certified Home Inspector. All the online exam allows you to do, along with a host of other requirements, is allow you to become a member of Nachi. If you want to hold yourself out as a home inspector and hang up a shingle without any training and experience, have at it and good luck. My membership in Nachi was just a business decision on my part. I could not see where joining OAHI was going to do anything for me as an inspector. Nachi has and will continue to grow because of the benefits of belonging to the association. I see no benefit in joining Oahi. I would join CAHPI if they would let me but that is verbotten as I would have to join Oahi to become a member. Thanks but no thanks. I am sure OAHI has it’s good points, I just can’t see them. Besides, we can’t even call ourselves CHI’s as this is protected in Canada. Certified Master Inspector is a designation that to me is harder to attain than RHI. Why is it that you may call yourself RHI without any training what so ever anywhere in Canada except Ontario
Larry

Ray,

If you look at that screen you are talking about you can read what it says underneath:

“Please note that passing this exam in NO WAY CERTIFIES YOU AS AN INSPECTOR” right on her own video.

Passing doesn’t make you a certified inspector even if you haven’t committed a fraud, it sure as heck doesn’t make you a certified inspector if you *did *commit a fraud.

Your forgetting, Nick, those of us who are certified know exactly what’s required to become certified. The quiz she got 91% on is the hardest part (I got 96%, by the way). The rest is a cake walk.

Norm

Look,

1. She is incorrect about becoming certified by passing an exam.
  2. She admits to using professional help in order to pass.
  3. NACHI’s entrance requirements are the toughest of all associations.

I’m going to leave it at that.

Yes but they are not inspecting therefore there is no issue, they only committed fraud on Nachi, not a member of the public in their deceptive action. Of course your opinions are only your opinions, and remain so until there is proof to back up your personal opinions right?

In other words we know that CAHPI and OAHI entry requirements do not keep out the rift raft.

But who cares, really? Not to offend, but all that matters is “certification” requirements, not entrance requirements. When I hire an Engineer, I don’t care what requirements were placed on him to *join *his association, only what he had to do to become a P.Eng.

This is another example of where you focus on what’s not important while refusing to see the problem. That reporter didn’t get certified with BCIPI because she can’t, not by fraud, not by cheating, not by anything but doing the work and becoming a professional home inspector the same as everyone else there.

Norm

Again with the entrance requirements. Who cares. What keeps out the rift raft is the prerequisite education and other *real *requirements that must be completed to earn your certification.

As for the reporter not inspecting, you miss the point again. If she can get in, then so can any guy with the notion of inspecting, whether he knows what he’s doing or not. That’s the point and the problem.

Norm

Sorry, the evidence suggest otherwise. If we look at OAHI the records indicate OAHI has had its fair share of what could be describe as incompetent inspectors. The requirements are to ensure a minimum benchmark is met. The onus to keep out the rift raft certainly does not lie with management that responsibility lies with the members and what they will tolerate.

I don’t know enough about them to argue with you so lets leave it at that. My feeling is that anyone who has to go through a professional system of certification rather than an online quiz and some other online things is far more likely to come out the other end a better professional.

I doubt you’d hire a lawyer or doctor or plumber who got his certification by passing the same quiz as a television reporter.

Norm

How do you ensure this is being followed? :wink: