Test cap still on vent

Do you guys run into this often on new construction? While inspecting a new build today found the test cap was never removed from the stack. I did walk this roof but when I was done I took the drone up and noticed the neighboring houses which appear to be both complete. 1 still has the cap on it and the other has no vent coming through the roof at all!! I guess I’ll give the plumber and roofer the benefit of the doubt and assume there not done yet.

2 Likes

I have seen this myself and of course was tempted to remove.
Just note in your report and through the realtors/seller, a plumber should be notified to remove.

1 Like

I actually just ran into a 6 year old house with the vent capped above the large master bathroom. There was also a vent pipe coming from under the bathtub to a previous small storage attic area into one of those boxes where you would fit in an AAV. Except the vent pipe is capped off too. :thinking:

1 Like

I have ran into this before. Most recently on a new house that had been occupied for a year. Have only seen it a couple of times in 20 yrs of home inspections.

Ran into this last month on a home that was fully remodeled 5 years ago - the seller had noted that they had poor drainage from all fixtures and the sinks were always “noisy” ever since the remodel.

3 Likes

I have only seen this 4 or 5 times in 28 years.

1 Like

Moring, Scott.
I would recommend further evaluation by a licensed plumbing contractor, or the developer if this is a new construction, without noting removal. Limit liability.
Have a great day.
Robert

I’ve seen this 1 time in 10 years!

I see it fairly regularly. Here in Ohio it’s not unusual for winter built homes to have the plumber fail to remove the test cap (the plastic one shown is glued into place and needs to be cut off—although it’s typical for someone just to break the cap with a hammer, so from the ground it still looks like it’s in place). I prefer the rubber test caps with a hose clamp, just cause it takes the guess work out of it. The plumbing system still tends to work OK, but when you flush the toilet you hear gurgling from a sink trap or something—bottom line, it’s not ideal. I’ll bet I run into half a dozen every year.

1 Like