Thermal Imaging for Electrical Systems?

This looks like fun, couldn’t help but answering before I continued reading thread…

Looks like that double pole breaker is getting very hot and has too many amps going through it and not tripping. seems like if Im reading that IR temps correctly, you dont need it to tell there is a serious problem, you could probably feel the radiating heat without it.

Disclaimer, … no training whatsoever, but I have no shame either.:stuck_out_tongue:

Sorry you would be dead wrong in your thinking;-)

:smiley: Still fun though, eventually Ill stop being so dead wrong.

Looking forward to taking a FlukeŽ Power Quality Workshop being hosted by a untility company here in los angeles. From what I understand its going to be fluke showing off their toys and Ill get to play with their thermal imagers and ask a bunch of dumb questions.

The proper place to ask questions is in a class room, those work shops are intended to be for someone that has already had some training as they are trying hard to sell cameras. I attended one of Flukes work shop in Tulsa OK

Thx, I plan on taking classes at some point, but I have some strong opinons on taking classes. Im looking at getting the ti400 or the ti32, but I dont want to spend that much without at least looking at it in my hands.

I plan on doing my own research and information seeking first. Learn what I can on my own and get the most fundamental information out of the way before I attend any class.

I believe that a class is only as good as the student who takes advantage of it. Be prepared with questions and really put an instructor in a position to teach something you cant get anywhere else. But that means alot of fiddling and dumb questions on my part first :slight_smile:

I know internachi’s class is my first stop, but if you have any additional online or free sources of information to share Id love to learn about it.

I am from the old school you get what you pay for I have never been into cheap and or free anything. If you want to be serious about IR get connected with Infraspection institute you can not find better training.

I strongly concur with Charley!

I’ve read this in a few posts, about needing Level 2 to perform quantitative electrical IR… Last I checked ITC doesn’t share that opinion.

Tim,
Part of the problem is that Level 1 is more about qualitative imaging and Level II goes into quantitative imaging. I am guilty myself of thinking that a Level II should be obtained before performing any inspection that requires accurate temperatures to diagnosis a problem.(just my opinion, and many may disagree) Pumps, motors, electrical and such have a need for quantitative measurements done and some Level1 or below classes do not teach enough about angles, cavities, reflectivity, air flow, and such to provide an adequate basis for acquiring truly accurate temperatures.

I guess depends on the class. Conversely, would seem we spent more time on quantitative, measurements, RAT, SSR and electrical than qualitative and building stuff. Would seem the class was mostly comprised of folks from industrial/electrical backgrounds (was only one other "building"person there). When I had read some of the comments in regards to level 2 etc with electrical, I felt there must have been some reference or something I was missing, so I had sought clarification from my instructor/ITC, hence my response here. On another note, the Infraspection building class was the first course I had taken (and before the level 1) and was a great resource (and before Nachi got such a great deal on it :smiley: )

The trainer does not set this requirement, your client does.

Some even require Lvl III.

The “Oh yea” lights don’t generally come on till you get around Lvl II, so just keep on with it. Also, few realize that just taking the course does not get you there. You need some field experience to go along with it.