This is a 200 amp service, main and distribution panel

Originally Posted By: jtedesco
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Please identify and prepare a list of what you see in this 200 amp service, main and distribution panelboard.

Code references are not necessary, but definitions and proper terms will be helpful.

![](upload://pZz1zI0b34ImDaUA1YlFkotQShF.jpeg)

--
Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant

www.nachi.org/tedescobook.htm

Originally Posted By: Brian A. Goodman

Hi Joe. For some reason I never find all of the stuff in these things, but I’ll take a run at it anyway.

I see a 200 amp main for a 40 circuit GE panel.
I see what is almost certainly an aluminum neutral, which someone bothered to install with contact paste (I'd be checking the hots next).
I'm pretty sure I see more than one neutral per terminal on the neutral bars, as well as neutrals and grounds mixed in the same terminals (neither is allowed).
I see that the enclosure is bonded.
I see that the wiring is not a God-awful mess.
I can't be certain, but it appears that the main is tripped. If so you have to wonder why.

I should probably be saying "grounded conductor" instead neutral, but I think that term confuses a lot of people, so I don't use it much.

Originally Posted By: jmichalski

Brian,

just out of curiosity, how did you id the GE 40 circuit panel from the photo?

Originally Posted By: Kenneth Hartman

I can’t tell for sure but It looks like the didn’t leave a service loop. as far as the alluminum grounded conductor that is the grounding conductor from the service drop and the black stuff is monkey grease which is required for aluminum wires (anti-oxidation compound) from what I can tell from the picture the ground and the nuetrals are correct the grounds appear to be on a separate bus on the bottom and the nuetrals are on a separate bus on the top and your allowed to have more then one nuetral wire under a lug as long as it is rated for it (would be the same as a double tap) but all and all it don’t look to bad I can’t see the breakers but one thing I would check is to make sure that there is not anymore than a 1/8" of conductor exposed where it enters the breaker lug.

[quote=“jmichalski”]

just out of curiosity, how did you id the GE 40 circuit panel from the photo?

Just right of the main breaker is the catalog number of the panel (turned sideways); TM4020. I recognize that as a GE number for a 40 circuit 200 amp. I could have pegged it as GE just from seeing the main breaker, it's unique.

Originally Posted By: dvalley

Quote:
your allowed to have more then one nuetral wire under a lug as long as it is rated for it

Please enlighten me. This is the first I've heard of double lugged neutrals that were allowed under the same screw, period.

How can someone tell if a neutral bar is rated for double lugging? Or are you saying that the bigger lugs can accept a certain amount of neutrals.

As far as I'm concerned, it's one neutral per screw, period. Unless you can show me different.

--
David Valley
MAB Member

Massachusetts Certified Home Inspections
http://www.masscertified.com

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."

Originally Posted By: Greg Fretwell

408.21 Grounded Conductor Terminations.

Each grounded conductor shall terminate within the panelboard in an individual terminal that is not also used for another conductor.

Originally Posted By: Kenneth Hartman

408.41 Grounded Conductor Terminations. Each grounded

conductor shall terminate within the panelboard in an individual

terminal that is not also used for another conductor.

Exception: Grounded conductors of circuits with parallel

conductors shall be permitted to terminate in a single terminal

if the terminal is identified for connection of more

than one conductor. You would have to check the paper work that came with the panal box

Quote:
You would have to check the paper work that came with the panal box

That's exactly why I red flag every double lug I see.

When's the last time anyone saw installation paperwork for service panels?

--
David Valley
MAB Member

Ken that exception may be important in some industrial sites but I doubt you are going to see parallel 1/0 in a residential panel (the smallest size 300.4 allows in general wiring).

David, you should be looking at the panel label. It will say if the grounding bus is rated for multiple “grounding” conductors. The neutrals should always be on separate lugs.

The same is true of the breakers but the labelling will be on the breaker itself. That is probably “invasive” since you usually can’t see the label without removing the breaker. A general rule. If this is a square washer with wires on both sides it is OK for 2.

Hole with a set screw, one but YMMV I suppose.

Quote:
your allowed to have more then one nuetral wire under a lug as long as it is rated for it

I simply asked...
Quote:
How can someone tell if a neutral bar is rated for double lugging

Ken simply stated...
Quote:
You would have to check the paper work that came with the panal box

That's where I find myself scratching my head.![](upload://yehyMS8bacC3j7qtIevbtkNCVM.gif)

--
David Valley
MAB Member

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

Quote:
When's the last time anyone saw installation paperwork for service panels?

Most of the basic instructions are located on the label inside the panel. They tell the HI just about anything pertinent we would need to know. Only problem with them is that often they are blocked by wiring. I read them whenever they are visible if I have any specific panel questions.

I believe FPE allows double lugging of neutrals. ![icon_eek.gif](upload://yuxgmvDDEGIQPAyP9sRnK0D0CCY.gif) ![icon_eek.gif](upload://yuxgmvDDEGIQPAyP9sRnK0D0CCY.gif) ![icon_eek.gif](upload://yuxgmvDDEGIQPAyP9sRnK0D0CCY.gif)

Blaine,

Do you really find yourself reading those directions attached to electrical panels? I don't.

I don't know about the rest of you but I use a common rule to any/all panel(s). Everything I learn, pertains to every panel.

The only info I'll look up on that label (if it's legible) is the rating.

--
David Valley
MAB Member

Originally Posted By: Scott Warga

You can not double neutrals under a single lug. icon_exclaim.gif

The neutral can carry a hot current back to the bar and a poor connection will cause hot and/or burned wires.

UL 67, dated December 8, 1993: 12.3.10 An individual terminal shall be provided for the connection of each branch-circuit neutral conductor.

I gave a reason and sited a code.
Prove me wrong.

Some panels will allow you to double grounds. NOT Neutrals.
This information is frequently on the panel cover.

Scott,

Thank you kindly.

You specified my exact thought.

--
David Valley
MAB Member

Originally Posted By: roconnor

Brian A. Goodman wrote:

I'm pretty sure I see more than one neutral per terminal on the neutral bars, as well as neutrals and grounds mixed in the same terminals (neither is allowed).

I'm not so sure ... might be an over/under bar. But I agree with one (1) neutral per terminal.

Brian A. Goodman wrote:

I can't be certain, but it appears that the main is tripped. If so you have to wonder why.

Might be an incorrectly installed main breaker, with down as "on" ... cant tell from the pic.

Brian A. Goodman wrote:
I should probably be saying "grounded conductor" instead neutral, but I think that term confuses a lot of people, so I don't use it much.

I agree ... I use the term "neutral" all the time ...... even though technically it is not "neutral" on a 120V circuit.

Scott Warga wrote:
You can not double neutrals under a single lug. ![icon_exclaim.gif](upload://kW92MliyHA8ygoXI0UsgtBSn4ZO.gif)

I agree ... no double lug neutrals, except for large feeders with "parallel conductors" for the same circuit/feeder with wires larger than 1/0 in size. Actually that requirement for separate neutrals in the UL 67 panelboard standard goes back a lot further than 1993. It was often ignored (even by Mfr like FPE Blaine ... go figure with that ... lol) ... so it was added to the 2002 NEC to make it crystal clear that branch circuit neutrals are not to be double lugged.

Just my opinion and 2-nickles ...

--
Robert O'Connor, PE
Eagle Engineering ?
Eagle Eye Inspections ?
NACHI Education Committee

I am absolutely amazed sometimes by how much thought goes into doing things wrong

Originally Posted By: jtedesco

Nothing is wrong here!

I was hoping to get someone or people to answer the question.

This was a new installation and was not energized yet and I inspected it over 15 years ago.

I took the picture and the job was correct and it passed inspection. I should have made myself clearer, I was trying to teach instead of find fault.

I wanted to hear about the MBJ, GEC, GR, and EGC, etc.

I will wait till the convention and have a better image to show.

PS: This image has been used in the IAEI Soares Book on Grounding and in the slide shows since the 1990 edition.

: ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

--
Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant

www.nachi.org/tedescobook.htm

[quote=“roconnor”]

Might be an incorrectly installed main breaker, with down as "on" ... cant tell from the pic.

I can see "off" imprinted below the handle. You'd have to work pretty hard to reverse one of those anyway, with the lugs only on one end and installed with an impact driver (phillips head, of all things). Taking the lugs out of one of those is tough.

Quote:
This was a new installation and was not energized yet

--
David Valley
MAB Member