This just seems wrong....

Today’s inspection. 2005 build. Never lived in home.

Under kitchen sink. GD outlet and cold water wall valve practically share the same hole int he wall.

I could not find a code to back up calling this out but it seems like a potentially dangerous arrangement if the wall valve or hose leaked.

Thoughts?

Outlet and Valve.jpg

Kevin, I don’t think you need a code for that…your common sense for safety and the client’s willingness to trust your advice should be plenty to write it up pretty much like you said it, except leave the code reference out. :slight_smile:

“Improper placement of receptacle needs further evaluation by a licensed electrical contractor”.“Electrical issues are considered a safety hazard until corrected”…I will bet the plumbers apprentice did this one :wink:

Regards,

The proximity is not illegal, but it is borderline.
Neither is it unsafe IMO. Regardless of where a receptacle is under the sink it has a similar chance of “getting wet”.

What is a problem is the escutcheon covering the receptacle plate.

I prefer to say " Wrong placement by the plumber "…lol…the electrician was their FIRST I bet…:slight_smile:

"Re: This just seems wrong…"

If it looks like a duck…

I bet “the elctrician” was never there. The handyman/homeowner fished that wire out the plumbers hole and didn’t start over a few inches like he should. What is the bet on whether there is even a box back there?

I’ll take that bet…read the 1st sentence of the 1st post…now, what did I win? :smiley:

That still doesn’t mean this was installed by the electrician a lot happens after the electrical final.

It looks like the 1/2" copper stub was strapped to one side of the stud, and the wall box nailed to the other side of that same stud. One tradesman or the other was begging for this to happen long before the final trim-out happened.

I have a question about this.

Is it likely or should it be that the wiring is in conduit or something back there to prevent “issues” with this. Obviously it’s a bad choice, but do you think whomever did it covered their butt and at least put some protection on?

Wendy, all wiring should be in a conduit. It could be flexable metal, pipe, or plastic. That’s nt the problem. Nothing will happen to the wire (thhn,thwn) if it is powered up under water as long as the bare copper is no in the water.
What can go wrong with this picture is that there is a connection for water, that has potential to leak or spray into the receptacle which may cause someone to get hurt. This outlet may still be GFCI protected for saftey, but it is still not good practice.

I see no violation or safety hazard. I’m with speedy on this one. The chances of inundation are just about equal anywhere under the cabinet. There are separation of systems rules, but I think this one is really marginal. The only real argument I could make, is that the plumbing system is interfering with accessibility to the device box. Remove or trim the escution ring- problem solved.

Wendy, the wiring IN the walls needs NO protection. There is absolutely no reson for it to be in conduit (unless it is code required of course). Being in the wall is inherently protected.

Steven, all wiring should not be in counduit. Of course there are plenty of times it should, but residential wiring is typically not. NM cable is prefectly safe.
Why do you think NYC changed it’s stance on this. They woke up.

Agreeing with Pete…and to add… that this is a disposal outlet, which would be dedicated, and not GFCI protected.
Kevin can confirm…but that is what I see from the very tiny picture. :slight_smile:
I wouldn’t want it installed like that in my home.

By conduit , I mean covered by either flex or nm cable. I meant #12 wres can not be run without a covering.

OK, sorry.
I’ve just never heard of NM sheathing referred to as “conduit”.