Outlets under sink

Is this acceptable to have an outlet under a sink. I reported it as a safety hazard and should be relocated.

Typically there are outlets (receptacles) under the sink. The dishwasher as well as the disposal is plugged into an outlet with an appliance cord. The vast majority of the homes I inspect have one or more outlets deliberately installed there just for those reasons. There are some caveats as to how the outlets are installed.

Mmmmm caveats…I love those little fish eggs :wink:

I don’t think I’ve ever owned a home w/out a plug under the sink…

If the recepticle protrudes (sticks out from the wall) and is not waterproof, I call it out.

Electricians say that under sink is not a wet area. How many of them have changed out a kitchen sink faucet?

I have gotten shocked many times changing a kitchen sink faucet.

I also like to see the wire (if directly connected) to the disposer be in waterproof cable.

I know that no codes recognize this, but I see it as a safety issue.

Laugh all you will. All it need sis some little kid playing hide and seek under the kitchen sink to get killed (or even shocked) for a lawsuit to ensue.

:shock:

lol…Well again its receptacle…lol… and are you trying to say no electricians are handy…lol…hey fella…I am a HIC and CIC contractor…lol…I do remodels…lol…but yes the area below is not considered a wet area…net fact is if it is a commercial kitchen it would need to be GFCI protected…while in a dwelling if it is dedicated for a Disposal or DW…then it need not be…

But I agree with Will…if their is a plug under the sink it should have a purpose…of no purpose it their…note it.

Hey…we are not laughing at ya Will…even Electricians have a heart:)

Also a few notes…and may only be seen in new construction in case you all do any…the receptacles under the sink are many times cut out incorrectly…either they sit back to far into the wall or the box is cut out too large…these are also safety issues

I make a report comment that safety level would benefit from the outlet being GFCI protected.

James,

Most certainly will go along way in the safety of the client…most certainly adding that is advised…you just never know what a person will try to plug into it…while they dont have to change anything…safety suggestions are always an added bonus…

While again not required…most certainly a great suggestion i hope most are using.

I regularly see under sink recepticles where the whole box is not in the wall, is only connected by BX and is a regular box and the cover plate is the wrong type. Many times, one or more punchouts are missing and open.

Unsafe. May get laughed at by electricians (and I do), but, hey, I don’t work for them. And, in Illinois at least, they don’t have a state license.

I will go with the law (and common sense) thank you very much. Electricians rarely have to face non-laughing lawyers. :cool:

Dang…their you go again fella…lol…what makes you think Electricians laugh at ya…

Those things you mentioned would make any electrical contractor agree…while we do use code…we DO understand the NEC is the minimum standard…we do not just adhear to the minimums simply because we have a license to do so.

I guess I am bias…I do both but I call out just as many concerns…

Paul;

1. Because I have had electricians, to my face and on the phone, laugh at me for calling out certain safety issues, when the installation met ‘code’.

2. The NEC is not the minimum, the local code is the minimum. Some municipalities just accept the NEC, others amend it or write their own (Chicago, for example).

3. In many cases, around here, smaller towns and villages, seeking the bigger builders to develop land and provide the village with a bigger tax base, issue ‘variances’ to the builders. One such local village issued a builder a variance on 500 townhouse units that allowed them to not install GFCI and AFCI protection. I inspected and called it out, as my license requires me to do. The electrician (a good guy) explained the issued variance. He thought it was a joke and that the builder was stupid. But it was ‘code’.

Many times, local AHJ codes are political and economic documents rather than technical or safety documents. They are under the authority of politicians and therefore, don’t always have the best safety interests of the public in mind.

Very true Will…I find the answer to # 1 very sad…as an electrician I would NEVER laugh at the HI…I guess I just cant relate to that as I have never had a HI call me out and I laugh at them…if they are concerned over something my job is to either give my opinion or put everyone at ease…

Not belittle the guy for doing his/her job…

Yes, very sad when local politics play a role…

This kinda also verfies what I was saying in the post about Panels in other locations and Supplemental overcurrent protection…and remodels…all depends on the local AHJ…and as stated…sadly Politics.

Glad we could reach and understanding, Paul.

lol…did not think we didn’t have an understanding…lol…I am only here to answer questions and learn myself…Only giving you opinions…lol…I

I just like teasing…lol…and its Receptacle…lol…

I’m having problems posting the pic guys whenever I click the add image icon I get a page error

Here is the pics

outets under sink.jpg

Whenever I see price tags I look out for more homeowner installed problems.:wink: