Tin covering wood.. Concrete or Wood foundation?

Originally Posted By: Mark E M
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I placed an offer on a decent home built in 1986 with just under 2000 sqft. I have a home inspection scheduled for next Wednesday (29th) however am looking for some insight before I go out with the inspector. Something to settle my mind somewhat.

(here is a picture of the external of the home)
[ Image: http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/2/200501060.jpg ]

Upon doing a walk-a-round to view the exterior I noticed all along the base where the foundation can be viewed is covered by Tin so I went to a portion where I could carefully lift a part up and underneath the Tin is Wood. I thought this may be odd and looked up the property tax information on the Montana public record Cadastral Mapping and found the property is listed as having a 'concrete' foundation.

Then when I went inside, looking throughout the partially finished basement which has concrete floors I went up to one of the walls that did not have sheet rock yet and moved aside the insulation and saw dark colored wood.

I looked all around the basement and couldn't really see any evidence of water or water damage.

On the property disclosure the Seller did not list any problems.

I am no expert by any means, that is why I turn to those who are. I would like to ask if any of you have seen this before, what it may mean, and how I can find out more about it. Once again, the home was built in 1986 and all the neighboring homes appear to have concrete foundations. Thanks much!

- A curious home buyer[/i]

Originally Posted By: Monte Lunde

Your foundation is concrete with treated wood walls instead of concrete or block walls. I believe that you also find that the walls are 2X6. I would cover the exposed insulation with sheetrock. Have a happy home.

Monte Lunde CCI, CCPM, CRI

Viking Construction Services Inc.

Thanks for the response Monte. I appreciate it. How common is this method of construction on homes? Know the disadvantages/advantages to this?

Originally Posted By: mkober

Mark,

Do a "search" (top of page) on wood foundations, and you'll find more information than you can comfortably read at one sitting. Like concrete foundations, if they are built correctly and in a suitable environment (this can be the tricky part), they will perform quite well. Make sure your inspector has a working moisture meter with him, and uses it diligently.

--
Michael J. Kober, P.E. and H.I.

"NACHI Member and Proud Of It!"

Thanks Michael,

I have read thru quite a bit of the info on wood foundation via the ‘search’. Very useful info.

For others who may wish to respond, the house is in Central Montana (the Great Falls area) where temps. in winter may often reach -10 below Fahrenheit and the summers reach to 90s. The area sometimes can receive quite a bit of wind too.

I appreciate your opinions/comments/expertise.

- Mark

Originally Posted By: jhagarty

system?

http://www.superiorwalls.com/products.php

--
Joseph Hagarty

HouseMaster / Main Line, PA
joseph.hagarty@housemaster.com
www.householdinspector.com

Phone: 610-399-9864
Fax : 610-399-9865

HouseMaster. Home inspections. Done right.

Originally Posted By: Monte Lunde

Our company Viking Lumber Inc. & Viking Builders Inc. built over 750 homes in rural North Dakota in the 70’s and 80’s. I would say about 85% where Treated Wood basements ( This system was used in Canada 30 years prior to be introduced in the US). Treated Wood was cheaper, easier to insulate and finish off then concrete or block walls. In most area’s of the US they don’t have a cement plant close enough to beable to erect a concrete wall and blocklayers are a hard tradesmen to find for setting up a block wall . Carpenters are every where. I would rate all three systems as equal (All systems are FHA & HUD approved), for they all have good and bad points. Like I said sheetrock and insulate the exposed wall and you will have a very warm basement in the winter and a cool basement in the summer. I had a treated wood basement for thirty years before I sold the house and moved to Nevada. There are still being built today all over the USA. Have a happy home.

Monte Lunde CCI, CCPM, CRI

Viking Construction Services Inc.

Much Thanks to you all who responded… Glad I found this message board, what a great resource!