To walk or not to walk....

Matthew …

Took this pic from front seat of van. Do you think I need to walk the roof??

Tell me then I’ll post my comments AND if I went further than the front seat of my van to inspect this.

Ok Dan lets do a friendly debate Okla Vs Kansas.

Okla states you must walk the roof unless inspector deems it unsafe and you must provide a reason it is unsafe. What made your roof unsafe and did you report that you inspected it from the front seat of your Van:p

What does the Kansas SOP state Oh sorry Kansas does not have a SOP one can quit his job at Micky D’s and start inspecting houses;-):shock:

That’s just plain old dumb.

I’m not against walking roofs but making it a mandate by the state is onerous.

We try to get on the roof of every home we inspect. We have a few of the better rooftop views we have on our https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=(https://www.youtube.com/user/BakerInsptnGrup/videos)

[quote=“sbaker2, post:24, topic:86868”]

We try to get on the roof of every home we inspect. We have a few of the better rooftop views we have on our https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=

Nice views Scot I assume you don’t have a big Butt and ladders are not in your fear bucket;-)

I think the whole point of this thread and what everyone is saying is to do what you feel is comfortable to you. Charlie and a lot of other guys (including myself) feel very comfortable on ladders and roofs. But if you look at that roof and don’t feel right about it, stay the heck off. You are only setting yourself up to fall and get hurt. I stop walking them at 10/12 pitches. I can see everything I need to see from the ground or at the eaves at that pitch. I did walk a 12/12 once because there was a hidden area I could not see. That was the only time I broke the rules. Besides when you walk a steep roof on a warm day you mess up the singles by removing some of the granule layer.

Nice idea Scot!
Not a big Butt myself. Cable lineman for a while, back in the day.
Respect the laws of nature.

Just wondering what you guys think of a city that does not walk any roof, garage/house, nuttin.

The same city also does not go IN any trench to inspect drain tiles on exterior waterproofing jobs ‘final inspection’. lool.

They show up and ask us, how are the drain tiles fellas? Duuuh!
What if we feel like lying.
Why don’t you get yer AZZ down here in the hole and do your job!

Same city sometimes shows up EARLY, tell us they are sooooo busy and obviously we have not yet dug out the entire trench, all the way down YET, they have okayed every ‘inspection of drain tiles’ on those.

And, i do not wait for these pinheads when they are late as I will not risk cave-ins just because dumb azz cannot make it on time, or close.

Somehow, I’m not qualified to inspect the shtty tiles, huh? Only THEY are?
Really? loooooooool

Eh city inspector, when we do 5’ or 15’ jobs, why are YOU incompetent sobs soooo worried about the 5’ or 15’ of drain tiles and NOT worried about the OTHER 100’ of drain tiles around the rest of the house? Huh?

They are on site maybe 30-60 seconds and have NEVER cared about what the condition of basement wall was in, how we were going to seal it, how (with what) we were going to backfill it etc.

You cannot thoroughly inspect the drain tiles from ground level, may have crack(s) in bottom of 1-2 tiles etc which one cannot see from up top, duh.

We did meet our match at a house in Hillsborough, I carry a 27’ ladder on my Transit but the chimney caps were 36’. We had no path from the roof up to it to view, so like a few others we have added a drone to our inspection arsenal. Did not care for the feeling of not being able to fully inspect for our client (they had concerns about the top of the chimneys). Just posted a video of our second flight as I get used to flying and recording. Will not take the place of walking a roof but should help when it is non accessible.

On every inspection I recommend that they get a Level 2 chimney inspection.
Problem solved!

What’s the drone look like?

It’s a DJI fc40,

Ah yes.Is it easy to fly?

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51L8E3bp0tL.SL1500.jpg

“It’s a DJI fc40”

From the picture on the website, it looks like it has LEDs on the bottom. They would mistake it at night for a UFO down in Roswell :slight_smile:

heck it may get shot down in CO, didn’t they pass a drone hunting licensure etc…

We booked an afternoon roof-only inspection for today and I am going to bring the drone. After I do the inspection I can do a trial run and see how this can work or enhance the process.

To fly yes, to maneuver and fly with 1st person view on your phone? Still working on that one.

Can you post the video? I’m very interested in this.

I walk most roofs, including clay tile. I find it much easier to mount the roof and do a quick walk around. If you don’t you’ll miss things like exposed nails, valleys not cemented, and unusual situations. Some metal roofs you can’t walk on. Take the nachi classes , it will help.

My apologizes to getting the thread off track with the drone talk. I have started a new thread in the roofing section for it.