Toilet Wax Ring Missing

I recently had a client from 5 months ago who contacted me about his toilet wax ring failure or missing.

this is in a condo unit and evidently the leak caused issues with the tenant below.
i explained to the client the procedure used by checking to make sure toilet it tight, then operating the flush and view for leaks at the base and the water supply line.

he insists that the wax ring should have been part of the inspection and i signed off on it being correct and he feels i am liable for the leak and the damage-

the funny thing here is this is a 5 month old inspection, and they are just realizing they have a plumbing issue. he has not responded as to when the leak was first noticeable, but insists i pay for the damage and repairs-

Any suggestions on how to politely tell this gentleman that our non invasive means for inspecting the plumbing and fixtures can not determine if a leak happens after visual inspection.

Thanks

You can just politely tell him home inspectors don’t pull toilets.

1 Like

Well which is it?
It can fail for many reasons, and at any time.

Maybe someone used one of the new toilet gaskets on the market that don’t use wax, and someone didn’t know how to install it.

The list of possibilities is endless…

If it were leaking at the time of the inspection I can’t imagine the people downstairs would have put up with it for 5 months. Toilet seals can start leaking at any time but I would guess this one started after the inspection. Gee sir I’m sorry You are having this issue now. It wasn’t leaking when I inspected it. Have a nice day …

4 Likes

Here is your clue. The leak started well after your inspection.

Send him the SOP that he agree to and explain, as was said before, that toilets can leak at any time, darling. (<<< That is being nice!.)

2 Likes

Thanks Larry. That is exactly what I did as well as explain the entire procedure on bathroom inspections. He is obviously mad that his investment was not that stral he thought it was and is looking for a scapegoat. Heck I was even polite about it! I did also not that he should read the agreement he signed regarding visual inspection

2 Likes

As others have said, be nice during the first reply, don’t be defensive. Nicely tell them not your fault. Often they are just frustrated that they have this bill, so are fishing for anyway to get someone else to help defray those costs. They are usually told they have nothing to lose by going to everyone involved to see if they will accept any liability, including going after the seller, both realtors, the inspector, the mover, the cable guy, the insurance company, the bank, etc. The feeling is that worst they can do is say not me. So play their game nicely and don’t get too worried unless they come back to you a second or third time and refuse to accept your initial reply. Then you should consider legal advice.

2 Likes