Too Many DFUs?

Originally Posted By: tgardner
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I inspected a new construction house today and found one 1.5" Roof vent stack for 14 fixtures located all through this house. One Horizontal run was 50’ with a 1" sag in the middle.

Noticed sewergas smell ![aiwebs_029.gif](upload://tNpCbl48ZXBnsDDqeJMAwzFMJz.gif) when draining lav fixture furthest away from the vent.

Is the vent undersized?

tg

Originally Posted By: dvalley

Tim,

I didn't know they installed 1.5 inch vents, especially in new construction. As far as I know the minimum diameter is 2" and that size only allows a maximum of four fixtures tied into it.

If this house has 14 fixtures as you say, it needs a minimum 3" stack.

That horizontal run you seen had to be the main waste pipe carrying waste to the municipal outlet area. The length shouldn't be a problem, but hangers should be attached to this pipe every six to ten feet.

--
David Valley
MAB Member

Massachusetts Certified Home Inspections
http://www.masscertified.com

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."

Originally Posted By: tgardner

David,

The horizontal run is in the attic spaces and is the vent branch serving the Kitchen at the front of the house, the basement wet bar sink, and the Laundry (3 fixtures). This branch runs 40 feet with the unsupported dip, connects to a branch serving the Hall and basement baths (6 fixtures), runs another 20 feet horizontally with another minor unsupported dip and eventually connects to the master bath vent branch (5 fixtures) befor turning vertical and penetrating the roof.

I have since found out that the plumber is the son of a licensed plumber operating his separate company under his father's license. Problems in Wellville.

This inspection was ordered by the owner's legal council to defend the owner from the builder's demand for final payment. Rat's nest.

tg

Originally Posted By: dvalley

Geeze,

You you would think that a plumbers house would be a professional installation. Why would a plumber rig something when he has all the supplies readily available.

I remember inspecting a Plumber's home last year. I couldn't locate a single elbow in any of the copper supply piping in the basement. He happened to be there So I asked the elderly gentleman "Who did the plumbing installation"? He replied "I did, many years ago. I'm the best plumber in the city, and I know what I'm doing, I refuse to use elbows on my own piping because it resticts water flow, and blah blah blah-blah. He just wouldn't stop talking about his plumbing war stories. I left him talking with my client as I continued on with the inspection.

--
David Valley
MAB Member

Massachusetts Certified Home Inspections
http://www.masscertified.com

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."

Originally Posted By: chorne

I do believe that 3" is code

Carla