TPR Drain Line & Flood Stop

I inspected a house with a water heater in hall closet.

There was a flood stop installed at the water heater.
The safety pan drain line had a hose bib at the drain.
The TPR drain line terminated in the safety pan and I reported it as deficient.

The realtor had a plumber look at the TPR & safety pan… His findings were that the TPR termination to the drain was good because the flood stop would stop the water and the water would not flow from the TPR after flood stop was activated.

Is this configuration acceptable with TPR terminating into the safety pan with a flood stop installed?

Good, Rocky. Now it is the plumber’s responsibility.

Where do you think it should terminate if not into the pan?

Absolutely NOT!!

1. The TPRV drain is not allowed to terminate into the pan,
  2. The catch pan is to drain to an indirect waste receptor,
  3. There is to be NO device of any kind capping/blocking off the TPRV drain!

Twenty bucks says the Realtor lied, or talked to her drinking buddy and there is nothing in writing to prove the claim. Stick to your guns. You are correct!!

Interesting indeed, but Texas IRC says otherwise:

There are always exceptions. Did I really need to include that Disclaimer?

1. What’s “flood stop”? I can’t find a definition in any ICC code books.
  2. “Hose bib” is an exterior faucet.

Suggestion: start using terms used in the ICC code books or by professional organizations. If you ever have to testify in court, using non-professional, colloquial terms will make you look really bad if the opposing attorney is using professionals or expert witnesses.

IRC for Texas:

504.6 Requirements for Discharge Piping

The discharge piping serving a pressure relief valve, temperature relief valve or combination thereof shall:

1. Discharge to the floor, to the pan serving the [water heater](Chapter 2: Definitions, Plumbing Code of the Texas IHB | UpCodes) or storage tank, to a waste receptor or to the outdoors.

ATTENTION: Rocky, use the reference section of my website to access all the ICC code books for free. Unlike most versions, you can copy and paste.

Done. Walk away unless you are a licensed plumber. The discharge piping is suppose to terminate into the drain pan as mentioned by some members above.

This subject is brought up every week or two and still some inspectors above are still throwing out the wrong advise :crazy_face:

Best not to quote codes unless you are familiar with OP’s jurisdiction. IPC and UPC vary with discharge piping in the pan requirements.

3 Likes

TPRV is a mysterious creature, like a woman :ghost:

1 Like

You need to take your own advice!!

FloodStop Appliance Leak Prevention

Thanks for posting that Robert. I have not seen one of those before.

1 Like

My pleasure, Joseph.
I think what confused Kenton, and everyone, was the image of the TRV leg/tube clearance default.

Story. If my memory serves me well, Roy Cooke senior posted he had installed a FloodStop Appliance Leak Prevention device on his potable water supply line entering the water heater due to a recent flood in his basement prior my going to his home in Brampton Ontario for a training session back in 2010 or 11. The insurance company completed the repairs. Roy showed me how to recognise flood repairs on basement drywall. Back then insurance companies had the general contractor cutaway 12" - 24" inches of drywall up from the flooring, analyse the suds for defects and rot, the midwall for visible microbial growth and replaced the drywall afterwards.
You look for parallel taped drywall seams running horizontally 12" - 24" inches up from the flooring:-) It work!
I discovered several flood repairs over the years once I asked the vendor for disclosure. No mention of prior flooding in the disclosure statement:-( It was quickly amended:-)

When you are licensed in IPC and UPC territory like I am, maybe I will listen to your advice. Until then zip it.Your Plumbing advice is often incorrect because you know nothing of the territory from the OP. This post was a perfect example.

1 Like

It’s not just territory :smiley:

Yes it is. A state may follow IPC along with amendments. A state may follow UPC along with amendments. A state may have their own plumbing codes independent. I’ve been licensed in all three. If you meant something different you’ll have to be more specific.

1 Like