TPR Valve discharge pipe defect?

What are your thoughts on this TPR discharge pipe?1584134025400

Anthony for some jurisdictions that discharge pipe is correct. Getting to the valve on the water heater may be difficult because there may be some splashing hot water coming from that elbow.

1 Like

“By-the-book”, it is incorrect… BUT… your local AHJ may have approved it as is their prerogative.

Air Gap at WH
Indirect waste receptacle

1 Like

From the 2018 UPC book. No trap!

I see nothing in that install that isn’t by the book.

1 Like

You have an illustration here that has a valve on both the hot and cold line on the hot water heater. This is very bad idea.

1 Like

I would have preferred a wider flare on the receptor but other than that it looks fine.

1 Like

I don’t care if someone approved it, I would recommend the air-gap is created near the floor, not near one’s face level height. Should that discharge start splattering all over the place, take a guess what could happen if you happen to be right next to it. I also have no issue with a valve on the hot side right by the tank, there are bunch of valves downstream anyhow. The most important thing is a functional TPRV.

4 Likes

I agree with Simon and Russel about the location of the discharge pipe, it too close to the top of the water heater and an increaser to a larger pipe diameter would be better. The valve on the hot side of the water heater is unusual as I’ve never seen a water heater installation from a manufacturer recommend or reference installing a valve on the hot side. Home owners will install a valve there thinking it will aid in changing out the water heater in the future. Bottom line is this install is by the book for a jurisdiction following UPC. I will assume there is not a floor drain in the vicinity since the plumber went through the effort crafting a drain and hanging it on the wall.

1 Like

Martin,
The shiny chrome thing on the hot water side appears to be an escutcheon plate not a valve. I had to use the screen magnifier to be sure.

1 Like

Yes I was referring to the illustration posted by others. It is a escutcheon and looks like a clean install by a professional.

1 Like

Ok, I see it. The one drawing shows cut off valves on both hot and cold. gotcha.

2 Likes

You’re entitled to your ‘opinion’.
Two valves are required in some local areas, and is “local custom” in others.

1 Like

Trap required if discharging to a drain! (As specified in the graphic".

1 Like

I’ve worked in dozens of jurisdictions and this was never required. Post the source of the information and code number. “Local Custom” BS that’s why every jurisdiction uses a code book of some type.

1 Like

This is required when dumping into the sanitary sewer. You posted last month a trap was required when the TPR dumped into a drain that discharged outside. So stupid!

Anthony, welcome to our forum…where there are no stupid questions…Enjoy! :smile:

1 Like

Bottom line is … is it safe or not? It’s not our place to say if it is per this code or that code…the TPR extension could result in a burn for anyone nearby. I’d recommend it be changed to closer to the floor. It may be allowable by the AHJ or may be a “local custom”, but it’s not the best way to do it.

1 Like

Hi Martin,

I understand what you are saying regarding the jurisdiction approval; logically, the TPR valve will be pouring water faster than it would let out though through the step down pipe into the wall thus overflowing and leaking onto the floor or excess hot water splattering. I think it is a poor design in my opinion. Thank you for the insight. I appreciate you providing the plumbing jurisdiction code.

Lol. Thanks Larry, I appreciate the warm welcome!

Thank you Jeffrey!

1 Like