TPR valve inspection

Defect a TPR valve, located in the basement utility room.
The water heater has a hose at the end of the TPR valve discharge pipe. This is a safety hazard. This pipe must discharge through a visible air gap in the same room as the water heating appliance. Not to terminate more than 6 inches above the floor, or waste receptor. Immediate removal of the hose is required.

1 Like

Cite your source.

2 Likes

Yes SIR.
And how high should I jump SIR?
Should I grovel as well, SIR?

1 Like

Pretty sure the post was made for education inspection and essay writing. The narrative does need to be cleaned up though.

5 Likes

What about lack of a drain pan under the WH and how about that stubby drip leg?

A hose was attached to the TPR extension pipe, this is an improper condition, have a qualified plumber make corrections as needed.

This part is not true. The discharge pipe can also terminate at the exterior of home.

It’s probably his water heater. He had to pad the post to make up the required number of words.

1 Like

40 words minimum whether they are thought out…or not. :shushing_face: :wink:

3 Likes

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.

3 Likes

Thank you all for the helpful commentary and banter, I appreciate constructive criticism. Plus, you really put a smile on my face.

This water heater was from house. I inspected this past weekend from 1956.

2 Likes
1 Like

How so? Are you performing a home inspection or safety inspection. I don’t perform safety inspections.

Well then, I guess you don’t perform Home Inspections either.
Dots

5 Likes

Hi Patrick,
I think the snarky responses you got have mostly to do with the awkward wording of your post, specifically “Immediate removal of the hose is required”. Your take-away from this should be that as home inspectors we should be careful to “stay in our lane” as far as pushing tasks onto the reader of the report. Consensus among experienced home inspectors is that we can recommend safety upgrades but should not assume a role of authority or take responsibility for enforcement of codes. I think a better way to word this would be to inform the reader of the condition and the potential risks and then recommend that safety upgrades be performed by a plumbing contractor.

Good job catching the dangerous situation and protecting your client. That’s what we do.

5 Likes

Correct. Just phase, pre-drywall inspections. Some final new builds. Stopped home inspections in 2019. Too much work. Doing the easy ones. Code inspections. More money no liability.

Well make up your mind. You do do safety inspections. Code is safety standards.

2 Likes

True but it is different than a safety inspection.

" What is the meaning of safety inspection?

A safety inspection is an on-site walk through to identify potential hazards to occupants and personnel and options for remedial action. Safety inspections are also important for property insurance issues."

I look for code compliance using the approved construction documents. Did the contractor built it to the approved plans. There is no need for a safety inspection on new construction unless you are talking about OSHA requirements.

Home inspectors do look at safety issues in existing structures and they should continue to do so. What I do is a specialty inspection.

Did you know in Ohio code inspectors are prohibited from doing a home inspection? You can’t call them out to inspect anything. They are only allowed to inspect new work with the approved construction documents. Only the CBO has any authority to determine any compliance with the code. Building department inspectors can’t cite code in Ohio.

I’m probably making your head hurt by now. Just telling you what the OBBS tells me.

You are really full of yourself. Jackass.

Wrong! All code is purely about safety. They are minimum safety standards. There is simply no other reason for them. You can call them anything you like but they are safety inspections.

So you walk through the site (or do you fly?) and identify potential hazards to occupants (which just happen to be building codes) and options for remedial action (which just happens to be code compliance). Safety inspections (and code) are also important for property insurance issues (insurance companies will not insure non-code compliant properties).

You are a horses ass!

1 Like

While that may be true I do believe that respect is required on this forum.

1 Like

I think I am beginning to realize what the color 9 smells like!

1 Like