TPV piping

To anyone who might help me here:

Should this TPV line be threaded like this?

The way I read the IRC 2003 (I don’t read the code, I just look at the pictures :slight_smile: ), it says no thread on end.

Thanks in advance.
Bruce

The picture does not show the end.:smiley: The reason for no threads on the end (means the very end) is , so no one threads a cap or reducer on the end.

I see the flexible adapters here and they are allowed as long as they do not reduce the pipe/tube ID (Internal Diameter). I am not too keen on the lack of pipe support, but that is another story.

I wasn’t sure if it meant the very end or not.

Hadn’t thought about the support…thanks.

Bruce

Bruce, my most valuable reference here in Phoenix is 3 other local HI’s phone numbers in my phone. You should find a fellow local Texan to bounce ideas/questions off.

And see what some of the other posters say about your photo.

Bruce

That must be a home made job. I can’t believe any Prof. would install the line that way. I know it would never pass BID inspection in Ga.

Nope.

Brand new house. I figure the reason is that when the water heater goes out, someone will be able to remove it without cutting the copper piping. The floor drain is on the left and the tpv is on the right.

One of those, “it seemed like such a good idea at the time”

As far as code, no code enforcement in the country.

The piping looks like it may meet code but then I worked in UPC. It looks very unprofessionally installed though.

Is there a dirt leg for the gas?

Dirt leg?? Not part of my lingo. Dirt bag, dirty hands, Joe Dirt, etc…

Was ist das?

Vielen Dank,
Bruce

A drip/dirt leg goes on the gas line. Many gas companies no longer require them as they claim the gas is clean enough as to not need them.

I would write up the TPR leg as in need of replacement/correction, as in this jurisdiction flexible tubing is not allowed.

Does the dirt leg keep sediments from making it to appliance? Like a P-trap?

Yes.

Click here and scroll down about 1/3 of the way: http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.discoverhorizon.com/standard/images/0727.gif&imgrefurl=http://www.discoverhorizon.com/standard/discover/samplereport9.html&h=359&w=400&sz=37&hl=en&start=1&tbnid=lMrDKlSoBjAGeM:&tbnh=111&tbnw=124&prev=/images%3Fq%3Ddrip%2Bleg%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26sa%3DG

Ah ha!

thanks for the info

Clear picture of sediment trap/dirt leg. Still required in Kentucky.

DripLeg.jpg

In the whole country? :margarit:

On a more serious note, it looks to me like the corrugated connection does, indeed, reduce the interior diameter, so it would not be allowed.

Country…as in “I live out in the country.” :slight_smile:

Good point on the interior diameter; I’ll check into it.

I live out in the “country,” but we call it the boondocks.

Now I know you’re from TX, but we say “boondocks” are farther out than “country”.

I think the progression is city, county, country, boondocks. :slight_smile:

That would mean a foreign country!

When I was in school at Texas A&M, and then living in Houston, Tyler was out in the boondocks. :margarit:

An Alpha Phi Omega fraternity brother of mine lives there in Tyler. Hank Baker. We used to be very good friends until I moved to San Diego. Long distance friendships eventually fall apart. :frowning:

Ouch…

According to the newspaper, Tyler’s got around 100,000 people and Smith county has close to 200,000.

How long have you been gone?

Last time I was there was in 1993 going to and from an Aggie football game in Dallas, not the most direct route, but, hey, anything for friends.

When one is from Houston, anything, say, 30 miles north, south, east, or west is out in the boondocks. :margarit: