Pressure Valve- So is this OK?

Hey Guys,

Did an inspection today…had some NICE images…but figured I would post this one…so…

What do ya think…

It has to be piped full size separately to the floor, to the outside of the building, or to an indirect waste receptor located inside the building. I would call that an acceptable waste receptor.

I can’t tell what the 2nd line is for.

So would it’s P-trap likely dry up?

Would it likely stay primed with the water coming from the main drain line?

So you are saying you like the idea of the Relief Pipe…pouring into a ABS drain with a P-Trap on the end of it?

Oh…sorry…the other line was from the condensation pump on the HVAC unit…

Well funny enough I snapped the picture because the owner did not want to remove the wrap on the water heater…lol…

The P2803.6.1 of the IRC states and I will jump down a bit…

" The discharge from the relief valve shall not be trapped "…lol…now this was one of those things that always gets me thinkin…lol…I am sure they mean TRAP in the actual Discharge Pipe…lol…but can’t you see someone near this as it discharges…the P trap holds it back and HOT water SHOOTS back up the pipe and…lol…yeah it could happen…lol

How about " The discharge pipe shall be installed so as to drain by gravity flow and shall terminate atmospherically not more than 6 inches above the floor.

Now your talking…:smiley:

Can’t you just see the pressure of this thing if it blows…sending scolding hot water DOWN to the TRAP and flushing BACK out into the air…from the end of that ABS pipe…kinda defeats the purpose …ya think?

If that valve ever discharges, it absolutely will be directed up from the drain pipe. I would write this up as a defect.

A trick to remember to stop a trap from drying up when you go away is put in a couple of oz. of vegtable cooking oil . This keeps the air away . If leaving a dish washer unused for a long time also do the same thing it covers the water and stops the seal from drying out and leaking. It also stops the sprayer from getting ceased.
Roy Cooke Sr.

r

I did…but I like posting the images to see all the views and comments on it…:slight_smile:

Paul…I was in your neck of the wood this week…Fairfax, my daughter is buying another home, unreal some of the things I came across.

I forgot how easy we have it here, no crawls, no basements or very few anyway.

I also forgot what real moisture does to things…:stuck_out_tongue: …damn I found some real fiasco’s, frigging moss and or mushrooms growing on siding, shingles, fascia’s, concrete,…unreal…:shock:

Just after the 15 inches of rain you guys had showed some real basement problems, damn I’m glad I don’t live on the east coast!!!..:smiley:

lol…You get used to it…lol…but I bet the humidity killed ya…

Yeah…The house I did today was 4,300 sq ft…took me 5 hours…dang I am gettin OLD and SLOW…but again I was never fast…lol…me gets ANAL…( deal Killa…deal killa…deal killa…labeled by a local RE Agent…lol )

I’ll take 105 any day!

It was 90-95 and 75% Humidity–Poor-Poor Mix…Damn!!!

I thought I was at Indian Rocks Beach!!!

Felt like 100 and 100…oh its great to be home!

[size=3]Man the moisture does a number on everything, I just plumb forgot![/size]

I understand your reasoning, but then by that reasoning how far down the line would it be acceptable to have a trap in the plumbing system?

The 2996 IRC says this: “Not terminate more than 6 inches (152 mm) above the floor or waste receptor.” By that portion of the standard alone, I don’t see any discrepancy.

Just trying to play devil’s advocate.

http://www.nachi.org/forum/archive/index.php/t-1762.html

Paul, what you have shown pictured is allowed—but does have a couple of defects in that there is supposed to be an air gap between the end of the ABS and the TPRV Drain pipe. Sometimes plumbers will cut away part of the drain pipe to create a gap. There is also available an ABS adaptor that centers the drain over the ABS and has slots in the side that creates the air gap. Also there is supposed to be a trap primer installed

Here is a picture of one that shows the ABS cut-away method and it shows the trap primer as well.

Carter2 076.jpg

Hey Joe…I hear ya…More safety issue for me than CODE issue…" WHAT…did I ACTUALLY say that…oh dear…:shock:

Howdy…well this plumber did not cut anything away…anyway I dont like it and my clients know that if I dont like it…it goes in the report…tehhehe…My rules…or they dont call me…:slight_smile:

All I know about this subject is that on Commercial Work, the TPR valve is a stand alone item to a drain of indirect waste. Plumbing Code for the State of Maine and I do not know the spec. par. sorry. I do not know why residential would be any different.

Marcel :slight_smile: :slight_smile: