TREC (Texas) arc fault

Proposed SoP

The following is deficient
the lack of arc-fault circuit interrupting devices serving family rooms, dining rooms, living rooms, parlors, libraries, dens, bedrooms, sunrooms, recreations rooms, closets, hallways, or similar rooms or areas; and
(9) failure of operation of installed arc-fault circuit interrupter devices.
(b) Specific limitations for service entrance and panels. The inspector is not required to:
(2) test arc-fault circuit interrupter devices when the property is occupied or damage to personal property may result, in the inspector’s reasonable judgment;

I have two questions.

1. What is the testing protocol?
  2. I comply with the SoP by saying. “Home lacks arc fault” and check deficient box. What does that tell an inexperienced home buyer?

Perhaps “The home lacks arc-fault circuit interrupting devices at areas such as serving family rooms, dining rooms, living rooms, parlors, libraries, dens, bedrooms, sunrooms, recreations rooms, closets, hallways, or similar rooms or areas. Arc fault is a life saving technology. Absence of arc fault can kill. For more information contact the Texas Real Estate Commission at BR5 - 5555”

John, (9) should read more along the lines of “failure of the integral test button operation, if present, of installed arc-fault interrupter devices”.

John
This is from the local Squiare D rep.
There is only one true way to field test an AFCI and that is by using the test button on the AFCI itself. The Ideal Sure Test units are UL listed as AFCI indicators (not testers). AFCI indicators may not recognize all AFCI breakers, and should not be relied on to determine functionality of an AFCI circuit breaker.
The UL approved method of testing an AFCI circuit breaker is to press the push-to-test button when installed in an energized load center or panel. This test injects a signal into the AFCIs sensor that looks like an arc to the AFCI. A properly functioning AFCI will trip when the test button is pushed.

Paragraph 31.8.1 of the UL 1436 standard requires the AFCI Indicator instructions to effectively state that the test button on the AFCI circuit breaker demonstrates proper operation.

The section on AFCI’s also goes on to say:

One or more of the SOP sub-committe members assured everyone that AFCI’s are not needed if the branch circuit is in conduit. Now, far be it for me to question their wisdom but I can’t seem to find that information anywhere. So, an arc can’t occur from an ungrounded wire to a grounded conduit? I’m sure it’s true, I just don’t understand it. Can someone explain that to me or show me where it is explained?

I missed that. Bet some electrical guru answers for us. I no idea.

Thanks for the testing info. It is easy to push the buttons. I like to push buttons. :twisted:

J

Perfect John :wink:

love it

Regards

Gerry

Another question is how are you testing the dedicated AFCI smoke alarm circuit?

Anyone have false alarms and associated fees?