Trump capping credit card interest to 10% means many will lose their credit lines

The reason credit card interest is so high is because of the risk of making unsecured loans to people with mediocre credit scores. If credit card companies are only going to charge 10% interest, they are going to dump a lot of their riskier customers.

This means that people will be scrambling to improve their credit scores to keep their credit lines open.

If you want to improve your credit score, go here: Welcome to the Credit Score Booster - InterNACHI®. It’s free.

I think I’ll buy EFX tonight as people are going to be checking their scores more often.

1 Like

My counter point is that high interest rates make debt repayment more difficult for the folks with mediocre credit, so the people that are most penalized by high credit card interest rates are those that actually make monthly payments. The slow to no payers aren’t those most impacted. I suggest that the better solution is capping the credit limits for those with low credit score and with a lower interest rate, they can better pay back their debt.

2 Likes

Interesting that years ago you were touting your ZERO Credit Score!
Gee, I wonder what happened there?

We are paying such high interest rates because we are supplementing those that fail to pay back their credit which obviously cuts into the CC company profits. Of course also the CC companies want more money as well so those that are good credit risks get to pay for the failures of others.

The current extremely high interest rate on cards is nothing more than legal usury. What is a fair interest rate? It sure as hell isn’t 20% - 30% which is what so many cards are today. I feel it should be permanently capped at 10% until the CC companies can demonstrate they are responsibly handing out credit so the losses from their bad decisions are not spread to the responsible CC holder and the CC companies demonstrate beyond a shadow of a doubt that 10% is not sufficient to stay in business.

Many will say that capping it at 10% will prevent young people from obtaining a credit card therefore hurting their credit rating further. That’s complete crap! There are plenty of other ways to build up their credit rating. I started with a couple of Big Box cards when they still ran their own credit departments, and a car loan. It didn’t take long to obtain a low limit major credit card. Not long after that the limit was extended at my request.

What so many people want today is an immediate CC acceptance at some totally unnecessarily high credit limit. Then they go out, run it up on all kinds of things they do not NEED. Then they fall behind trashing their credit ratings and hurting their ability to get even a necessary loan like a car loan. Anyone who has never had credit before, and those that have and trashed their ratings through irresponsible spending, need to learn their lesson by starting slowly and working up. They need to learn the responsible use of the CC. All along they are building their careers, advancing, making more money, and then if they want to waste the excess money they know they will not NEED they can do so then.

As for the credit rating systems they are a complete joke and should be highly regulated! A persons credit score can swing wildly without any apparent reason even though it is supposed to be based on your financial information only. Many CC companies now offer you free access to your credit score(s) with the three major reporting agencies. Watch it a couple times each month to see the changes even if nothing changes i.e. same monthly payments and on time, same salary, same, same, same. The only thing that changes is you get another month older. Until the Gooberment jumps in on this one it will forever be a problem.

Also look closely at the credit applications you sign whether it is a CC or other. That creditor will be reporting your credit worthiness as they see it to the credit bureaus on a regular basis. What is important on those applications is the wording that is very well written to literally give them access to so much information that maybe they should not have and maybe should not even be allowed to be collected on you. This is a sample application wording and you will find this or other effective wording.

This application is submitted to obtain credit. You are authorized to check my/our employment history and to ask questions about my/our credit experiences. Without limiting the foregoing, I/we authorize
you to make inquiries (including requesting reports from consumer credit reporting agencies and other sources) to verify my/our identity and determine my/our eligibility for credit, and subsequently in
connection with any extension of credit, update, renewal, review or collection of my/our account or for any other legal purpose. I understand that, on my/our request, you will tell me/us whether or not you
requested a credit report and the names and addresses of any credit bureaus that provided you such reports. I/We also authorize you to release information to others about my/our credit history with you.
I/We understand that you may report information about my/our account to credit bureaus. Late payments, missed payments, or other defaults on my/our account may be reflected in my/our credit report

Are you familiar with what a “Consumer Report” is?? That is vastly different than a “credit report” and contains every piece of public information and information the collector can obtain or is reported to them including among so many others your credit history. Lexis Nexis is the largest perverter Uh I mean purveyor of these reports. They are required by law to provide those to you upon request once a year. If you have never pulled one you should. You may well be amazed what is in there. They do offer various levels of the report so read the request process closely to ensure you are getting everything they have on you.

What is important about the credit, and any application that requests this type of information, is that wording in bold “and other sources”. What do you think the other sources are? That would potentially be that consumer report if they so choose to because you just gave them the authority to pull it. Look at the other bold where they state they will advise you if they pull a “credit report” from a “credit bureau” as they must by law. However Lexis Nexis is not a credit bureau and does not fall under the Fair Credit Reporting Act unless that report contains your credit history. That portion of a report can be left out when another pulls your “consumer report”.

The entire credit system has been convoluted to the point where someone who might have had a past credit issue way in the past may well fail to obtain credit even though they have paid their bills on time for the following 20 years. The CC companies want it that way so they can continually escalate their use of legal usury.

4 Likes

I sued all three credit reporting bureaus to remove a negative item. But I couldn’t sue them to just fix their error. The Fair Credit Reporting Act doesn’t permit it (The law was written by the three credit reporting bureaus). So I came up with a totally new angle that had never been attempted. I went around the Fair Credit Reporting Act and instead I sued each of them for libel. In other words, they can keep the error on my report if they want to, just don’t show it to anyone or it’s libel.

The crazy legal strategy worked. Two of the bureaus immediately fixed my report and removed the negative item. But the third just wiped my entire history out completely. And so I had 800+ scores with two of the bureaus and a zero on the third, for a while.

Anyway, if you want to boost your credit score so that a credit card company can keep you if the 10% cap goes into effect, go here: Welcome to the Credit Score Booster - InterNACHI®

And join me tonight in buying a little EFX.

1 Like

When is he going to cap the rates that health insurance companies charge? How about putting a $1.50 cap on a gallon of gas that oil companies can charge? I could go on and on.

Capitalism as it’s finest, or socialism?

AI Overview:

Capitalism is an economic system where private individuals or corporations own the means of production (like factories, land, and resources) with the primary goal of generating profit, driven by competition and market forces (supply and demand) for pricing and resource allocation, contrasting with government-controlled systems like socialism. Key features include private property, profit motive, market competition, and limited government intervention, fostering innovation but also raising concerns about inequality and exploitation. Different models exist, from free-market (USA) to social market economies (EU), balancing private enterprise with social welfare.

What happened to the Republican Party? Oh, that’s right, it no longer exists.

4 Likes

exactly: In the past year, they (a certain administration) has been able to “Groom” those that were once against Big Government into embracing it… Now just short of kissing it square on the mouth.

1 Like

Oil companies only make 4 cents on every gallon of gas. The gas station makes 5 cents. The credit card processor makes 8 cents.

So where is all the money going? It’s going to bureaucrats. They make many times more than the entire chain of businesses working to bring you that gas.

This past Christmas I drove a mile from my home and bought gas at 2AM. How is that possible? Did bureaucrats drill for that gas? Did they work the refineries? Did they open a gas station in every town? Did they man those gas stations at 2AM on Christmas? NOPE. But they took most of my money through taxation anyway. And on top of taxing the gas, they taxed the drillers, the refiners, the gas station owner, and the kid at the cash register.

Don’t forget who your enemy is. It isn’t Exxon.

5 Likes

If you drove on a public road to get there, you experienced some benefit from your gas tax dollars.

1 Like

Fixed!

3 Likes

When I was 18 in 1985, there was a Chase rep in the student center at my College(yes, that Kent State, 4 dead in Oh-Hi-O), I signed up for a card. I had a 1 shift a week job for $3.35/hour that first semester.

I got the card in the mail some weeks later. $5000 credit limit. That’s equal to about $15,135 today.

First purchase was a Nintendo. lol. The second was I went a bit hog wild at Summit racing and built my first race car. At the time, I had never had any credit for anything that I can think of, so FICO zilcho.

Now, my FICO floats 830 to 840. I applied for a Citi Globe American Airlines card to replace my Barclays American Airlines card since Barclays is exiting the airline co-partnership. Anyway, I got the new card. $16,000 limit. LOL. My Barclays is 43k. Bought my 13k Motorcycle on that card, got me instant Gold status on American. I keep zero balance.

My point to this is they want to hook ‘em young, so I seriously doubt this will change the predatory behavior. They will probably just up the late and other fees to cover their “losses”.

As a side note, I didn’t pay off any of my credit cards until about 1995. So 10 years of paying stupid interest, but I didn’t have a well paying job until I worked in Manhattan.

2 Likes

I never meant to imply that it was.

My point being, the Republican Party used to be against regulation and telling companies what they can or can’t charge for their product, but it’s evident that Trump has changed the Republican Party in such a way that it’s not recognizable from what it was just 10 years ago, so now, when he says he’s going to demand companies charge what he decides, we get crickets on the right side of the political isle.

One of the things I used to like about the Republican Party was at least their claim to be and want fiscal conservatism, now we all know that was and still is a joke perpetrated on the American Taxpayer as we add more than 3 million dollars of debt with every passing minute, and that number is like a snowball rolling downhill, getting bigger with each passing minute.

And my statement is not intended to forgive the Democratic Party for their part in it.

Trump was once a liberal, until the party left him. So was Musk. I think he has stood still and everyone else has changed the definition. To this day I consider Trump a liberal/moderate.

3 Likes

No, that would be the DemonRats with their influence on their RINO cohorts to go against anything significant from President Trumps Admin!!

Oh, here we go…

1 Like

The way to avoid high credit card interest rates is to not live above your means and to pay off credit card balances every month! Do not carry a balance over to the next month; this is how you get trapped and in debt!

4 Likes

Love him or hate him, this appears to be Trump’s attempt to reduce the financial burden on Americans as debt rises and cash decreases in the average Americans life.

Even NY Governor Hochul sees opportunities for everyday folks in at least one of Trump’s policies.

With the New Tax Year, Governor Hochul Will Propose No Tax on Tips Legislation in the FY2027 Executive Budget

Electric vehicles are getting taxed in other forms to make up for the lack of gas tax. For instance, in MN, electric vehicle owners pay an additional fee at annual tab renewal. Also, if they use a public charging station, a tax is being added there as well.