Has anyone seen this type of roof underlayment? It’s paper…Not felt paper, just paper.



never seen it up here. Is it wax coated or something to keep it water repellant?

It’s just paper. It’s crazy. I’ve never seen anything like it.

Looks like a Sisal Kraft Paper. Mostly used for wraping.
There was a type of reinforced Sisal Kraft paper I used many years ago that was waterproof and laminated with asphalt layer in the middle. Used as a moisture barrier under concrete floors, but the one pictured is not that. :slight_smile:

Looks like Red Rosin paper. Light weight asphalt between two layers of paper typically used as a moisture barrier under hardwood flooring (wood frame construction). Guess the homeowner saw “underlayment” and found the price too hard to resist. As a roofing material it’s not appropriate…

Agreed, rosin paper. Usually used under interior wood flooring not shingles.

Rick, red rosin paper is a paper used for underlayment flooring, used as a slip sheet under copper standing seam roofs, used under siding years ago as a wind barrier.

Not a vapor barrier and does not haf an asphalt layer.





Are you proposing that product as to a similarity to the OP’s question?

Don’t resemble it at all. :slight_smile:

“Rosin papers is frequently used as a layer between the roofing material and roofing felt. The rosin paper acts as a separation layer to prevent the roofing felt from sticking or bonding to any of the roof’s metal panes. Rosin paper is also used in roofing to act as a slip or drip sheet. The rosin paper stops any coal tar or asphalt from dripping into the interior of the roof or building.”

Read more: http://www.ehow.com/info_8112706_uses-rosin-paper.html#ixzz2ufjIZOua

Can remember finding something similar under some old metal roofs. Been a long time though

when you google brown paper underlayment there are products for several (not roofing) that are brown paper underlayment.

This paper was a single layer installed under the shingles on a mobile home built 2002 in southern Florida. It just seems to me to be an inferior product for this type of situation.

I was just about to ask if it was a mobile home. They’re built inside and don’t really need to have a “temporary” dry-in. So, the kraft paper really just serves as a moisture barrier.
This is common on mobile homes.

It was the only underlayment the home had. That’s what my concern was. Does not seem to be enough.