Unknown vents terminating in attic.

Originally Posted By: jwortham
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I have been puzzling over these vents for the last 2 days. One looks like the vent from a bathroom fan, however, both bathroom fans under have been accounted for. And the single wall vent I have no clue at all!

The furnace and water heater share a flue that also been accounted for.

Anyone have any ideas? Or do I just write it up as "Vents of uknown origin terminating in attic etc."

[ Image: http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/more/DSCF0170%20(Small).JPG ]
[ Image: http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/more/DSCF0171%20(Small).JPG ]

Originally Posted By: psabados

Two thoughts

1. Dryer vent

2. Hopefully not a range/hood vent (single wall)

Paul

Originally Posted By: ecrofutt

Perhaps it would help if you explained what was under the rigid metal vent pipe. Did it penetrate the ceiling sheetrock.

Where did the other end of the flexible vent hose go.

Both look to be to small for fresh air vents for the furnace or gas dryer.

--
Erby Crofutt
B4U Close Home Inspections
Georgetown, Kentucky

www.b4uclose.com

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

The galvanized vent could be a combustion air source for the furnace/water heater. The flexible duct sure does look like a bathroom duct. As Paul said, hopefully not a dryer or kitchen exhaust vent. I dont see any lint or grease though icon_lol.gif

The dryer duct was one level down and discharged through the side of the home. The range hood was a recirculating type that did not vent out of the home.

Directly under these vents were 2 bathrooms. Both bath fan vents were discharging down through the soffit and were accounted for.

Under these bathrooms was the laundry room and another bathroom on the main floor.

Under THAT, was the furnace and the water heater in the basement.

The water heater joined up with the furnace vent in the basement and continued upward in a single B vent.

I am going back out there tomorrow and do some more digging. I'll update you all if I figure it out.

Thanks mucho!

Originally Posted By: charper

His wife probably put them there to scare burgulars. Husband probably snores and the vent orignates at the bed. Or maybe hubby has bad gas…

Charlie

Originally Posted By: kmcmahon

A southern communication center for when the husbands working in the attic and his wife needs him…she just talks in the pipe. Probably a recent upgrade from two cups and a string! icon_wink.gif

Wisconsin Home Inspection, ABC Home Inspection LLC

Search the directory for a Wisconsin Home Inspector

Originally Posted By: ekartal

I highly doubt and hope this is not correct, but could that second photo just possibly be a plumbing vent stack? icon_eek.gif

Erol Kartal

Originally Posted By: pdacey

Was there a fireplace? The flex duct could be a fresh air vent for the FP, if there is one.

Slainte!

Patrick Dacey
swi@satx.rr.com
TREC # 6636
www.southwestinspections.com

Originally Posted By: vprimaky

I have seen a few of these, in all cases they were dryer vents.

Vladimir
Vlad's INspection Services
Las Vegas, NV

Spent some time in the attic last night. Pulled up some insulation, climbed over some rafters, damn near fell through the ceiling, but figured it out.

The flexible duct is from a bathroom fan. I was able to see it disappear under the insulation and then resurface near the soffit vent. Assumed it was a straight shot. It was not. Had been disconnected under the insulation.

The single wall pipe was the bath fan from the 1st floor powder room.

Discovered it's a good idea to turn on the bath fan when up in the attic and in doubt. That hum was music to my ears. Now I am no longer wondering what the heck those pipes were!

How much insulation does everyone usually move to check under? Would hate to think I need to go crazy on lifting it to look under!

Thanks for the help fellows. I'll know better what to look at next time.