Unsecured Junction box to Furnace

I have a question about some wiring leading to an electric furnace…sorry I didn’t take a picture:roll:…The heavy guage wiring is enclosed in a junction box like it should be. The junction box is hanging loose to the left front of the furnace with the wiring supporting the box. The wiring is drooped in front of the furnace leading to an unfinished stud wall. I initially wrote this as an unsecured junction box. Am I right about this and should the wiring be enclosed in conduit? Thanks for your insight into this!..Larry

Calling out the unsecured j-box is a good call. The cable not being in conduit is a matter of opinion. (I guess you’re talking about cable? If you’re talking about individual conductors; yes, that needs to be in conduit.)

Thanks Marc…Yes it is cable. The installer is saying that this is the way he installs all of his systems. This just threw up a red flag that something wasn’t right here with the dangling box. Thanks!..Larry

That sort of response from people just grinds on me. My typical response to guys like him is, “So… that makes it right, how?” Nothing they can say at that point.

That’s the way we’ve always done it…
It’s been fine for years…
The inspector passed it…
Can’t see it from my house…

:frowning:

This is what makes me MAD sometimes…installers making comments like that

Just eats my NERVES…the guy can attach it to the furnace outer casing…whats it cost…a few screws…

I agree…the excuses for poor work just needs to end…alas it will not.