Updated GFCI Chart from Jerry Peck

Updated May 2015 to reflect NEC changes in 2014

http://jerrypeck.com/IFCN/Other%20Items/_GFCI_requirement_page-2014.pdf

Thanks Mike

Ditto Mike, nice work

Awesome. Thank you.

Did not know this… I knew they could not be behind, but did not know the outlet under the sink had to be GFCI…

8d. All receptacle outlets provided for DISHWASHERS – receptacles are no longer permitted installed behind the dishwasher as the GFCI receptacle would not be readily accessible

Bump - All outlets under sink?

That’s just common sense.
Amazing they have to spell that out for people.

For a home inspector it’s close to impossible to inspect what is behind a dishwasher anyway.

That’s if you’re on the 2014 NEC, for earlier versions only the receptacle serving the counter tops require GFCI protection.

Once again, inspection has nothing to do with code cycle. Some states REQUIRE home inspectors to recommend GFCI protection. In Washington we MUST: Advise clients that homes without ground fault protection should have GFCI devices installed where recommended by industry standards.

Yea, just like a pool (underwater) light, heater, etc, not required by many ‘codes’, but really? lets put a light under water (or any other electrical system connected with pools and spas), and not GFCI protect it? How many more people are going to have be electrocuted before all pool circuits are “required”?

The question I answered was about receptacles under a sink and what it says in the NEC, it makes no mention as to whether or not an HI should make recommendations regarding improved safety.

And so what exactly is the industry standard and how does that relate to a receptacle under a sink that the NEC, in several code cycles pre-2014, is not required to have GFCI protection?

BTW it sounds like a code question to me. :wink:

As is typical with many of your posts (don’t get me wrong, I like them), you start off with** “That’s if you’re on the 2014 NEC”

**Home Inspectors recommend safety issues to their clients. I don’t care if it is a 1915 built home or a 2015 built home. GFCI’s are recommended for all locations based on the latest standards. If the client CHOOSES to use our information in negotiations, it doesn’t matter to me. That is THEIR business, not mine. It is no different than with any of the other trades.

I’m not disagreeing with you and would expect an HI to make recommendations that may improve safety, but you have to admit the initial question “but did not know the outlet under the sink had to be GFCI.” is in fact a code question for which I gave the appropriate response. Again I’m not an HI so my perspective may be somewhat different at times.

In Phoenix we are not on that code cycle Mark. Tucson is probably not on it either.

The “latest standard” is a little late. ;-).

I don’t comment about undercounter GFCI protection my self, yet.

Does anyone else find that the laundry room receptacles post 2008 are not GFCI protected? I’m seeing this at every inspection, even in homes built in 2012. I call it out every time.

The requirement for the laundry receptacle to be GFCI protected first appeared in the 2014 NEC but other parts of 210.8 in earlier NEC versions may have required the laundry receptacle to be GFCI protected. For example if the laundry area were in an unfinished basement then the receptacle would require GFCI protection or if it were located within 6’ of a sink.

If the laundry receptacle were in a finished room with no sink then GFCI protection was not required under versions of the NEC before the 2014.

thanks Brian