Vacuum breakers and check valves

Originally Posted By: psiposs
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Reading an HI book and read a section about water cross contamination. I have yet to see a check valve on the main water supply, and may houses don’t have vacuum break style water spigots outside.

Do you guys write up either/both of these?

Originally Posted By: tpope

Peter,

I always look for backflow prevention devices on exterior water faucets and proper air gaps on interior fixtures. Never thought about a check valve on the main before… icon_idea.gif

Originally Posted By: gbeaumont

Hi to all,

generally a vacum breaker is only required where there is a chance of cross contamination (where potentially foul waste could get sucked back into the supply system) This occours when the flood rim of a sanitary fitting is above the supply as is the case with hoses and bidet and the like.

Regards

Gerry

Originally Posted By: jfeig

Backflo preventers (bouble check valve with drain detween them) should be installed between a hydronic heating system and the domestic water supply. Also in comercial buildings between fire supression system and domestic water system. I beleive many water companies also require one between the comercial building and the water main.

Originally Posted By: dedwards

A very good idea to educate your customers about the vacuum breakers outside. People do not realize how potentially dangerous this can become. Read of an entire street that got ill from the water due to one neighbor using a garden sprayer on the end of his hose to put weed killer on his lawn. He apparently left it on the end of the hose when he got finished and it contaminated the entire water supply line on the street. Can upgrade existing hose bibbs for about $7 each. Ambulance ride starts about $300.

Originally Posted By: bkelly2

http://www.spxprocessequipment.com/sites/febco/pdf/cccchb.pdf