Vent pipe exit in attic

Are you sure that’s not an unconventional bathroom duct? They often run them to the ridge vent like that.

Regardless ,Bathroom vent to attic adds much moisture ,leads to mould .
Needs to go to outside .

I’m not discussing gable vents or metal roofs.

Read both sections. There is also a specific note about having clearance from soffits which are the intake location for attic ventilation. A gable is an intake as well. The purpose of the standard is clear. Your initial statements made no mention of clearances from the gable vent, that’s what I was responding to.

Based on your above mention of clearances, I assume we agree.

A gable vent is an exhaust of warm air my friend. Soffit venting is what they are referring to and I am discussing Metal roofs only. This is the reason no one should quote the Code in a report IMO.

You can discuss roofs all you want, that is not the OP topic though.

Air comes in a gable just as easily as a soffit when the wind is right, e.g. cross ventilation. Clearances matter and the reason for mentioning soffits in the IPC as it relates to plumbing vent terminations should be understood. This is one reason we don’t quote codes, because they are the minimum and not necessarily the best standard to follow only to the letter.

Although that is true of extreme conditions that is not of concern anyways in a properly designed Metal roof. As for the code that is funny because there is Zero that can be said about installing it on a gable wall. gable vent or any place you want to stick it as long as the vent itself is in free air-space and does not violate the rule of the Code. There is Zero that says it must go up through the roof at least in our Code for this application.

No one said it must to go up through the roof.

All I can say is this!:roll:

I can’t make it any clearer, sorry.

Aside from the gable vent “issue” the statement in bold is also wrong.

Uh…

****903.6 Extension through the wall. ****
Vent terminals extending through the wall shall terminate at a point not less than 10 feet (3048 mm) from a lot line and not less than 10 feet (3048 mm) above average ground level. Vent terminals shall not terminate under the overhang of a structure with soffit vents. Side wall vent terminals shall be protected to prevent birds or rodents from entering or blocking the vent opening.

OK, I stand corrected, with side wall venting. I was referring to a vent terminating at the roof.

Ahh…

I had a slotted cap on mine at one point just keep out leaves, but it freezes over too easily. I see frogs down the pipes every once in a while. Never anything bigger.

I am performing phase inspections on a remodel, the contractor told me that because the house was old that he could just terminate the plumbing vent into the attic. I told him to do it right, because I’m writing him up if I see it like that.

For Canada, according to OBC Rule 7.5.6.5 Terminals.

• Rule (1) says if a vent pipe is not terminated in open air it must be terminated **through the roof **to open air.

• Rule (2) says every vent pipe in open air must terminate above the roof. Note this says above the roof, not through it. So even if it passes through a wall it still must be terminated above the roof.

• Rule (3)(d) says during alterations or additions (renos) to the plumbing system, the vent must terminate above the roof for buildings 4 storeys or less, which is any house that I’ve inspected. Note this also says above the roof, not through it. I’ve seen main stacks run up the outside of century homes.

If I don’t see a main stack through a roof, it’s a yellow flag.

the contractor is a jack leg.

Plumbing vents were never allowed to terminate anywhere but outside.

Poop smells the same as it did 30, 50, or 100 years ago…

AAV’s are intended for kitchen islands where proper venting can be impossible.

AAV’s should not be used on main wast vents (if that’s what this is). They still allow gases to enter wherever they are.

One vent has to go outside. You could put the rest on AAV’s if you really wanted to.

It depends on the AHJ.

We have several cities here in SoCal that allow a main-waste AAV to terminate in the attic, with no external vents whatsoever. Many of these newer communities have no roof penetrations at all.

I stand corrected. As always, ymmv.