Vent Pipe with Cord

This was a new construction 650sq ft guest house. I’ve never seen this before. The cord that was plugged into a GFCI outlet went into the ground. Any idea anyone? Thanks.

Where are you located?

Please update your info to provide that, at the least.

1 Like

Probably a sewage pump.

1 Like

Knowing where that is might help. Is there any air movement at the top of that vent?

In Texas. At the far left rear of the home with no immediate bathroom or plumbing on the other side of the interior wall. The guest home has one shower, two sinks and one toilet. Thanks

Under the ground there might be a collection tank for sewage. The pump lifts the sewage to the height needed to then flow by gravity to the city sewer or septic. Just a guess in this situation. But the cord definitely looks like a pump cord with a pump switch.

1 Like

^^^^^ That’s where I went also ^^^^^ and those tanks typically have a light and/or alarm to alert the user when it malfunctions.

Thanks for the location.

3 Likes

The cord is probably not designed for permanent outdoor use and it’s not protected from damage from weed trimmers or lawn mowers.

1 Like

If it is for sanitary sewer, the lack of an alarm would be a concern for me and get mentioned in my report.

Keep in mind this could also be for a grinder or even exterior drainage. I would be careful about making a definitive statement.

2 Likes

Thank you all for the replies. Definitely wrote up the exposed cord but no definitive answer on that venting system with the buried equipment. Thanks again.

2 Likes

Redneck “Worm Tazer”!!

2 Likes

exterior sump pump ?, did you probe a little to see if there was a lid below the mulch ???

1 Like