Vent Question

Originally Posted By: kbowles
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

jpope wrote:

"I see," said the blind man ![aiwebs_020.gif](upload://nL086KnXIGc7ssNatqTb4Yqo3XH.gif)

" As he picked up his hammer and saw"

Originally Posted By: John Bowman

Sorry guys, I totally disagree with your assessment on the positioning of the Sanitary Tee.

In Jeff's picture the sanitary tee is placed properly. In all cases vent pipes and fittings must be arranged so that moisture will return to the drainage pipe.

Originally Posted By: Guest

I agree with John,

Considering the dynamic environment that exits in the vent, I'd bet no sewer gases are trapped. If they are I find it preferrable to liquids being trapped.

Originally Posted By: jpope

I spoke with a plumbing contractor in regards to this and Jerry is correct. The explanation was quite simple and made sense to me.

If this were a drain to vent connection, the tee would be correctly installed. This is a vent to vent connection and the tee is upside down.

A vent connection turned 180 degrees should look like a drain connection and vice versa.

![](upload://8yUGhnYfqNCCkacAPL4lY4bN26E.jpeg)

--
Jeff Pope
JPI Home Inspection Service
"At JPI, we'll help you look better"
(661) 212-0738

Jeff,

Check out: http://www.sanbruno.ca.gov/city. They give an excellent example of vent to vent connections.

In the photo that you provided, rain water and moisture would be your major concern. Mainly because of the lack of pitch. Pitch should be 1/4 " per foot towards the piping connected with the grey water lines.

This will be interesting. I guess the question should be when does a connection become vent to vent. If the pipe going down through the ceiling is connected straight into the grey water pipe below, then this connection is not considered vent to vent.

jbowman wrote:
In the photo that you provided, rain water and moisture would be your major concern. Mainly because of the lack of pitch.

Rain water and moisture are no more a concern with a single vertical vent than they would be in this configuration (disregarding the insufficient pitch).

Explained to me, was the flow to and from the fixture (whether the flow be water or air, up or down). Traps are designed to prevent sewer gases from entering the home. The first set of pics in this thread essentially show a "vent trap" which would be considered improper.

jbowman wrote:
This will be interesting. I guess the question should be when does a connection become vent to vent. If the pipe going down through the ceiling is connected straight into the grey water pipe below, then this connection is not considered vent to vent.

A vent is a vent regardless of its origination. At the point where it passes below the weir of the highest fixture, it becomes a drain (or possibly a wet vent).

Everything above the highest fixture would be vents and therefore connections would be vent to vent.

--
Jeff Pope
(661) 212-0738

jpope wrote:

Rain water and moisture are no more a concern with a single vertical vent than they would be in this configuration (disregarding the insufficient pitch).

I agree because the sanitary tee is installed correctly. If it was reversed then moisture and rain would become a problem.

[quote'"jpope"]Explained to me, was the flow to and from the fixture (whether the flow be water or air, up or down). Traps are designed to prevent sewer gases from entering the home. The first set of pics in this thread essentially show a "vent trap" which would be considered improper.
[/quote]

If the sanitary tee was designed like a mono-flo tee I would agree. I guess I better call the local union here and get an exact call on this. Sorry I just don't agree with your plumber's analysis on this.

try: http://sanbruno.ca.gov/city

Not Found

The requested URL /city was not found on this server.

Apache/1.3.27 Server at sanbruno.ca.gov Port 80

--
Jeff Pope
(661) 212-0738

Hmmmmmm. What’s going on. I’ll find it and email it to you. (If I find it again). icon_biggrin.gif

Originally Posted By: dspencer

I didn’t read all the post but here is the way it needs to be for Ohio code:

The T has to be flipped and the horizontal pipe need to have a 1/4" per ft fall to the left. 90 is fine...the pipe must also be increased to 3" as it exits the roof...

Major issues here in Ohio are with wet vents. Big code vio!

Home inspections are saftey inspections, most current code violations are grandfathered into the home and need to meet current code ONLY @ a remodel stage and depending on amount of remodel then the WHOLE house must meet current code. "This finding does need corrected."