Vents on furnace & water heater.

Oh heck that all you had to say and we can wait for the next dude to come along:DGood night

You’re mean Charley. I think I’m finally starting to like you.

Decent videos. Look under “Venting Done Right”

http://www.gamanet.org/gama/inforesources.nsf/vAllDocs/Safety?OpenDocument

http://www.doctorfire.com/low_temp_wood1.pdf

**[FONT=Verdana,Bold][size=5]‘Pyrophoric Carbon’ and
Long-term, Low-temperature Ignition of Wood
**[/size][/FONT]

In the original post, the insulation in that picture, is it, verme, virmic, vermicul, vermicalite, aww dang, that insulation with the asbestos in it?

But hey, codes are written by lawyers representing builders and designers aren’t they? Anything is a risk to them.

(whispering) no their not, even a schmuck like me can submit additions and revisions to the code, just depends on whether on not the review panel accepts it…

(loudly) Hey, aren’t review panels made up of attorneys and big industry playas???

Sorry, had to!

That was a good article BK but not the answer I was looking for

I viewed the video and did not see the answer to my question not all things can be found in a book or video

Jeff, you asked if that insulation was vermiculite…I would say it looks more like blown-in cellulose to me, from the picture anyway.

Ok I give up have a late inspection today so I will end my hijacking of this thread and try to explain what I was trying to drag out pertaining to the possible danger in the long term penetration of a flue vent at the roof penetration or the penetration into the attic I have no scientific data to back up what I say just a lot of experience in the field. I have observed the inner lining of old flue pipe deteriorate from excessive condensation over time when this occurs the outer shell is the only protection and becomes very hot to the touch and if wood or tar paper is touching this duct it can create fires. And to me that is a good enough reason to write up all gas vents that do not have the one inch clearance to combustibles because as a inspector I can not see the inner lineing. Cheers and happy hunting:D

Got it, thanks!

It is blown in cellulose.