video sewer line inspections

Originally Posted By: rfarruggia
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I was thinking of getting the equipment and training to add video sewer line inspections to my available services.

Does anybody else offer this? Any advice?
Thanks

Originally Posted By: ssmith3

Equipment is expensive. Starts around 6k for it. I call one of the local plumbers that have the equipment already. They usually charge the customer $100-$200 depending on the lenght of the run.

I don’t recommend it for all customers.

Scott Smith

Marinspection

Vice President NorCal NACHI Chapter

I graduated from collage. Now my life is all mixed up.

Originally Posted By: tbrown1

In response to the sewer line video inspection service, I agree that equipment is pretty expensive. Would take a long time to re-coup your costs even if you charged the $175.00-$250.00 I have been quoted by our local plumbers.

I also don’t recomend this with every inspection, mostly for older cast-iron drain/waste lines, for perforation from tree roots or from rust-throughs due to age. I personally have not heard of a rust-through problem in our community in a house that was less than 60-65 years of age. However, it is a good recomendation to your clients that are purchasing properties this age or older.

Tim Brown
A Advanced Home Inspection

Originally Posted By: kwilliams

to NACHI Tim

Member - MAB

http://www.nachi.org/convention2006.htm

Originally Posted By: rmoore

One agent who regularly refers me always arranges a video inspection on older homes at the same time as my inspection. A slight hassle for me as I sometimes can’t run the water for the first hour, but I do appreciate it being done.

If I knew that it was always going to be easy access I might be tempted (probably not even then), but what I have witnessed during these inspections would put me off trying to do it myself. Often, the plumber has had to pull a toilet as the cast iron cleanouts are totally rusted shut. Other times he will have to replace the original plugs. So, unless you are planning to carry enough tools and plumbing supplies to gain access and repair any damage you may cause, I think this is best left to the pros with a truck full of spare parts.

--
Richard Moore
Rest Assured Inspection Services
Seattle, WA
www.rainspect.com