Vinyl Siding Installation with Leveling Board

Foil faced boards need to be taped at the seams. Water runs between the cracks and into the wall cavities and due to the foil facing does not have air filtration to dry the wall back out. I run into several homes with untaped foil foam boards a year, they all have mold in the walls.

I actually have seen that on modular homes. I think the foil facing in that application is the weather barrier, instead of felt, or a Tyvec type product. I cant say its wrong, but its always seemed pretty cheesey to me ! Wouldnt want it on my house !!
Proper sheathing adds to structure, that crap cant hold back anything. If you totally disect a home built with that stuff they usually put in extra wind bracing since there will be no rigid sheathing. I say they cut too many corners ! Cheap is cheap ! You get what you pay for

Thermoply is exactly what they call it here. It is literally cardboard with a microthin metal foil skin. All I have ever seen and that is a lot, it is coated on both sides but one side is shiny while the other is a dull gray material. Termites love the stuff. They will eat the center out in wide swatches and leave the foil like old Hersey kisses wrapper. I usually see it on gables and uninsulated garages. The preferred method of attachment is staples just like you stated, but once in a while you find it attached with roofing nails. Typically we find it on spec houses built by the low budget operations.

Here is some being used inside the cavity behind an HVAC grill for God only knows what reason…

Fairview Dr 055.JPG

Fairview Dr 055.JPG

It appears this Builder did not care too much for it either back in 2001. :slight_smile:

http://cache.boston.com/globe/spotlight/toll_brothers/stories/day3_bar2.htm

:):):slight_smile:
You would use a lot of foil tape to do a home.
I would have to change ??? how much again???
I have to siffer that number down by the old cement pond.
Give me a week or two please.:roll:

Never seen it done that way in Montreal.
Insulation, lath and vinyl.