Visible Romex crossing Garage Rafters ... Question

Is the visble Romex a Safety Hazard ? Can it cross the Rafters not in conduit ?
David

NO. Of course it can. Is that a garage? Is it a detached garage?

Why would you think so?

1 Like

Could be snagged by a rake or shovel held up in the garage …

Its an attached garage

As long as it’s not walkable or used for storage, no problem. I would be more concerned with unprotected AC line set going up the finished wall.

Or a band of monkey’s could be turned loose in there. :smile: Seriously though, those cables should be secured at approximately every other ceiling joist. It’s hard for me to tell if they are.

2 Likes

That’s not a very likely scenario. But to answer your question:

No, Yes.

3 Likes

No issues with the Romex, but shouldn’t we be talking about the lack of drywall on the ceiling of an attached garage? I’m thinking fire and noxious gasses envelope…

2 Likes

If the wall we are not seeing in the picture between the attached garage and house is 1/2" thick drywall from floor to rafters, then that is an adequate firewall.

2 Likes

Good call…

That kind of thing is almost universal around here. Nothing to comment on there.

3 Likes

Agreed, this would not make my report. (fire barrier another issue). I am typically satisfied if I see the cable stapled near a fixture/junction box as shown here. IMO, this provides adequate strain relief.

1 Like

I agree with everybody ! :grinning:

5 Likes

that’s quite aggreeable of You …

2 Likes

Gotta respect a man that agrees with everybody! …don’t trust him. . . but I gotta respect him!

1 Like

Someone hacked Roy’s account.

6 Likes

No one should be hacking on my account! :grinning:

1 Like

I called it out … I want a licensed Electrical Contractor in the State of California to determine…The home is in Southern Calif.
I was trained that all wires have to be protected in conduit or behind drywall. Not going across rafters unprotected …