Walk through inspection?

what do you call it?

Just a walk-through or walk-through consultation.

4 Likes

@jfudge, where you guys getting the CPI video from for your websites?

1 Like

Hi Jim, I won mine through a Christmas party. You can purchase them here.

https://inspectoroutlet.com/products/custom-branded-cpi-video

You can also try your luck at winning one on the QOTW. There are other great prizes available as well. Good luck! :grinning:

2 Likes

It it pretty nice, it’s a shame we only want to charge CPI’s $49.99 for this advertisment that is mutually benifitial for InterNACHI and the memership as a whole, but it is a free perk to CMI’s and Members of the CCPIA.

I feel this base video should be a FREE membership benifit to all members, or at least heavily discounted to all or used as an incentive to complete initial and/or CE.

More nice videos at: https://inspectoroutlet.com/collections/marketing-videos

1 Like

Absolutely! No problem to show that you were there doing your job! No written report (never had one like that) how would you show that you observed and advised the client about something that was not fixed? In the future they could show that you were there by the payment of your fee but you could not show where you observed something OR could not see something that needed repair. I take MANY pictures of all inspections. I noted that I have never had a “non written walk through” inspection. A long time ago I put together an 'investors report" which the headers of the document covers all items that all other full inspections cover but ONLY have items that I listed should be addressed by the investor/builder. I do not cover things that meet the normal standards so it usually is fairly quick but always has pictures. This is a CYA. I am on my 21st year. I’ve been in court twice. Once as a professional witness and the 2nd time it took 15 minutes to prove them wrong with my report and PICTURES!

Keep in mind Paul it a walk through and not a home inspection that follows any SOP.

1 Like

Paul. I don’t release pictures from a walk through. I simply recommend the client take notes and take pics if they like when I send them my appointment confirmation email. A walk through is a Consultation, not a report and shouldn’t resemble a report. The last thing you need is agent’s telling people you’ll do cheap reports. They expected a home inspection, just give them one and charge additional to go back and finish up when the water is back on.

4 Likes

I’ve done and still do occasional “walk-thru” inspections. Nothing in writing, I don’t take photos, and all verbal means low liability. Of the hundred or so that I’ve done in 22 years, I’ve never had any after inspection problem, although a few have had some follow-up phone conversations. The negative is that you have to be in charge, because occasionally, a client will try to make you do more than you agreed to (one in particular comes to mind, and finally, he decided that he would pay for a full inspection after I told him that inspecting this or that was beyond our verbal “major component” agreement for the fifth time). You have to make it clear to any agents, that this is not a regular service. I had one agent start talking her clients into "walk-thrus) and I had to stop that by telling the agent, that I could fill that slot with a full inspection.
As for your situation, tell the client that your photos are for your records and he did not pay for them in the walk-thru.

3 Likes

Very true- but I’m talking about CYA.

The agreement for the walk-through clearly states it is not a Inspection. However if you want to perform a home inspection then the agreement does say the inspection will be performed according to the SOP. If it were me the walk-through would be brief and I would upsell the home inspection.

Contract for a walk-thru is fraught potential disaster, with me everything is verbal nothing written ever, when it’s over it’s as if it never happened, or so you say. :innocent:

1 Like

…not much written here either :slight_smile:

Fortunately I am able to postpone working during the pandemic, once I receive the vaccine I’ll rethink my options, I’ve been semi-retired for years. :mask:

2 Likes

Right on. Went to peek at your website and seen it was down. Thought I’d let you know! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It would seem like liability would almost be zero, if all verbal. Then it might become a he said, she said?

The InterNACHI agreement seems to be worded well, I see no reason if I were to do this to not use this agreement.

2 Likes

It’s what I use Jim. I also make it know to all involved that I will be wearing a body camera.

1 Like

We use the same agreement.

1 Like

I have never done a “holding hands walk through”.
It is either an inspection, or it isn’t.

These walk throughs that people are doing, usually require something in writing for someone to fix items.
I have done many inspection types, walkthroughs, renters final inspection, renters pre-moving-in inspection, all had reports…even if it was just one page.

I’m not sure the use or lack of a written agreement is the biggest danger in these limited scope inspections and I don’t do them in lieu of a home inspection if there is a real estate contract in place. I mostly do them as a repair list for potential investors or prior to listing. I also won’t do a stand alone four point insurance inspection if the home is under contract. Walk-Through and Four Point inspections have their purpose but neither provide enough information for a buyer to make a financial decision on a real-estate transaction. But then again I’ve never been sued,