Walk through inspection?

I conducted my first “Walk Through” consultation/inspection today without a written report. Is there any harm in releasing the pictures that I took to the client?

So they have something to remember?

1 Like

He wants them to look over for reference and to give to contractor to make necessary repairs.

Someone should come up with putting those ideas on paper. I would call it an inspection report but that’s me. Imagine that idea. I’ll bet all sorts of people would like to look at that such as lenders and crafts who perform the repairs. Heck you may even want to toss in a few photographs just for fun.

6 Likes

I never did one of those. Did you have any sort of agreement?

Yes, I used the intenachi walk through agreement

1 Like

Do you have a link to it?

Yea… that idea doesn’t help any. Thanks for the comment though.

Maybe tell them to take their own photographs. Who has time for that during a walkthrough?

1 Like

It started off as a normal home inspection. Then I get there and the water is off, crawlspace door is screwed shut and I’m wasting my time so we come to an agreement to do the walk-through at a discounted price with a signed walk-through agreement.

1 Like

Depends on your state. Some states don’t allow them, but inspectors still do them. Just so you know :slight_smile:

I don’t believe that I ever didn’t unscrew a crawl door that was screwed shut…interesting. Do you remove the dead fronts? I guess I don’t see the difference.

Carry-on.

3 Likes

I wouldn’t classify it as a true crawlspace opening. It had 3 inch deck screws holding it to the frame with at least 5 to 8 screws. No, I don’t remove those types of crawls space doors.

I do walk-throughs for clients. Sometimes a client is looking at more than one property, and just want a walk-through to know if they want to proceed or not. I do look at the roof, the attic, electrical panel, crawlspace, or whatever is there. Some clients take photos, make notes, etc. Nothing wrong with it. Some clients know they’re buying the property, and just want the walk-through consultation. I’ve also had clients have me do a full report on a chosen property afterwards.

It works well for some, not for others. I’m comfortable offering the different types of services that can go with the business. We have the required agreements in place to cover us, and our insurance providers know and are fine with offering these type of services. We always try to upsell a full inspection vs a walk and talk.

I also do addendum reports , property damage reports, for different companies, mortgage lenders, insurance companies, etc. Most times they’ll have a checklist page of things to look at, take a few photos, email to them, jobs done.

3 Likes

I’d never provide docs for a walk inspection, I would have mentioned to the client prior to the inspection that he should bring his own camera to take photos important to him.

5 Likes

I tell them feel free to take photos, make notes, etc. I have note pads and pens they can use if needed. Most clients are packing a cell phone with them.

2 Likes

Just make sure you have some type of agreement stating the purpose and scope, etc.

Depending on your construction knowledge those pictures could be a liability if you document something you missed. I suggest you look those pictures over real good before you turn them over to your client.

4 Likes

IMO, photo’s constitute a form of report. If they want the photo’s they gonna pay for the “photographic report”!!

6 Likes

I don’t take photos on a walk-through consultation. Never would. I don’t call it an inspection either. :slight_smile:

3 Likes