Wall of transformers

MARCUS TRANSFORMERS CAT NO: MC100A
Why would a wall of transformers be used for in a home. Each numbered. 49 in total.
Lots of halogen lighting throughout this luxury home.
Any help would be greatly appreciated

Sorry, Robert, I’ve never seen that before. :man_shrugging:

4 Likes

It’s a 12V step down transformer. The home is using low-voltage lighting to save the planet.

4 Likes

Do you have any pictures of the light switches? Were they standard switches?

1 Like

Lighting; Quartz horologion. First thing I though was reserving energy.

Yup, low voltage lighting. “Smart” lighting of the day. It was less about saving energy and more about control.

4 Likes

Thanks, Richard.

I agree. The losses related to all of those transformers would probably eliminate any potential energy savings. Also as shown the wiring is one big code violation.

3 Likes

Let’s hear it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Please share.

This does look more like a “custom” setup. I worked for a low voltage lighting manufacturer as production/purchasing manager. We made self contained systems.

1 Like

If the primary voltage is 120 volts the branch circuit conductors need to be in a raceway or cable and spliced in an appropriate junction box or a wireway.

3 Likes

Here is where the lighting circuits terminate… There are 2 such control boxes.

It doesn’t look familiar, but it could be a computer interface or addressable switches.

Wow what a mess. Imagine a new guy coming in to troubleshoot that? There is something to be said for neatness like these lighting control modules.

1 Like

That costs extra, sorry – the customer only paid for it to “work”.

1 Like

Not where I work. :smirk:

2 Likes

Yup, pays the same. Sloppy work is profit… until you get nailed for it!

1 Like

One of the states I inspect in (Oregon) has a line item in their SOPs about this:

The Oregon Certified Home Inspector is NOT required to observe: (A) Low-voltage systems except to report the presence of solenoid-type lighting systems;

This has always made me chuckle since how can I report on it if I don’t observe it? I was probably inspecting for 5+ years before I even ran across one of these systems. I’ve probably seen less than 10 in 20+ years. They are usually identifiable by push-button switches.

1 Like

I suspect the reason is that solenoid or plunger type relays are antiquated, parts are harder to get and many electricians don’t understand how the systems work. There were two major players back in the day, GE and Touchplate. This is a GE solenoid relay:

1 Like

Did a house like that once. The attic was full of relays and a rats nest of wire. Made little sense to me.