Wall shut off for pex distribution

and I understand You logic sir. I remodeled homes for 40 years before retirement and on those jobs I was the plumber. as well as most of the other contractors on the job… In that many years in the field I have ran across a number of plumbing leaks. The fact of the matter is the majority of leaks I have seen in all of those years occurred at fittings not service piping

‘The distribution manifold is located in the garage with the appropriate shut off valves for each line.’ OK. Still need shut off valves at potable water supply branch line ends, prior the riser being installed to the faucet.

Jack, was there an access hatch behind the bathroom cabinetry, typically in the closet in the room adjacent the fixture?

So out of curiosity, if you come across a manifold system that has fittings or valves downstream, do you call them out as defective or possibly have the potential of leaking?

1 Like

I have never run into a manifold system with fittings or
valves downstream have You ???

I personally have not, James.

I have. I built the manifold out of copper fittings and pipe. The PEX tubing ran to each fixture independently. A valve was placed under the lavatory faucet. A valve was placed at the water closet.

I use an adapter for copper so that only copper stubs out of the wall. I then use a brass craft angle stop with copper tubing to the fixture.

3 Likes

Just me, and maybe the area I’m in, but every manifold system I’ve inspected had shutoff valves at the fixtures. Otherwise I would have been on here long ago asking why. Not saying right or wrong, but never have set it up as a “potential” issue.

No, there is not.

Call it out.
Same does for any water system or component that uses faucets that had no shut off valve prior hot and cold water risers, or was not visible.

Observation: Lack of independent shut off valves under sinks, tubs and basins.
Recommend: A licensed plumbing contractor:
1: Evaluate if any independent shut off valves for hot and cold domestic potable water supply lines under sinks, tubs and basins are present.
2: Install independent shut off valves for hot and cold potable water supply under sinks, tubs and basins were required.
3: Follow any recommended referrals.
Limitations: Water Quality. Isolation valves & main ware shout of valves. Canceled plumbing. As in this case. Tub/sink overflows. Water treatment equipment. etc… You get my drift.
Limit yourself from posable legal challenges. I am being perused as we speak, not legally but he/she threatens as much, by a client that refuses to understand limits and exemptions.
I have myself covered. I just hate seeing a client pursue disappoint. His/her first challenge was, Mr. Young. How can you see the sumps pump. You said there were 2. Explain this to me!
He/she sent in an image of the macerator pit. Yes they are covered and bolted shut. Next was, how come you did not go in the attic! Its a flat roof. These are the challenges many will face.

Sorry for the edits.

I disagree. When I did my manifold system 6 - 8 years ago, tees and elbows would have cost way more than the extra pipe.

1 Like

Only the cheap plumbers and builders in our area don’t put fittings and the fixture, most don’t use the manifold any more. Odd thing is the conversation thread its said that less connections mean less chance
for failure but this pic has just as many connection with the hammers installed.

1 Like