Was my price to high?

I got a call from Remax he needed an inspector to do an inspection by tomorrow or the next day. He said around 3000+ square feet and multiple units. I used the calculator it showed 556. Im running a discount since im just starting out. I told him 350 just trying to get my foot in the door. He said he’d call back to set up everything but I think he’s price shopping. Would any of yall call remax back? Or was my price to high to low? Thanks!

1 Like

For me, the price is too low. Also it is always a little suspect when the agent is calling you and not the client. I mean, it does happen but it is not the norm.

4 Likes

Did you tell him that you’re running a discount because you’re just starting out?

Apparently you didn’t ask enough questions. It’s way too low.

What is it exactly you were quoting?
What does “multiple units” mean?
Is this for a client of “remax”, as you call him?

And what would you say if you did call him back, that your fee has gone up?

1 Like

I wanted to ask for the 556 price. I guess since I’m running into a few dead ends I just wanted to book it. This Remax is apparently 4 hours away and that’s why they are looking for someone. I did ask if the price was ok he said no problem. Maybe I should just be patient and see if he calls. The next town from me has multiple inspection companies with multiple inspectors so that’s what I’m up against. Definitely going to get licensed in Tennessee. Im taking pre-licensing classes now.

1 Like

I agree with Dominic.

1 Like

I was driving to an inspection when he called. It almost sounded like he wasn’t 100% sure what multiple units meant. No i wouldn’t up my price that would be bad business. Im the one who said it do I have to stand by that.

No im running a discount for the month. I didn’t mention me being new.

I guess im still nervous about asking full price knowing im new and there are many inspectors in my area. Guess I need to just ask for the right price.

1 Like

Your “discounted price” told him all he needed to know… you are either new or desperate!!

(Your quoted fee is what I would charge for travel for a ‘job’ 4 hours away!!).

5 Likes

Ignore the rest here.

What’s the going rate IN YOUR MARKET?

Find out and price yourself 10% higher. No need to leave money on the table.

5 Likes

That’s a heck of a discount IMO. Generally if you need something at the last minute or in a hurry there is a preimum price. Quote a reasonalbe price based on your competition and let it be. Perhaps offer a small discount on subsequent referrals but never the first. It’s been said many many times that price shoppers tend to be higher maintenance and complain the most. A good agent knows the value of a good inspector and should expect to the fee to be priced accordingly. They may be trying to justify their commission based on discounts they get from other service providers. Sometimes my reply is I will match any discount you’re giving the client. 1% off the agents commission equals 1% off my price! Fair right?

5 Likes

I agree with Mike Larson on this.

1 Like

April you get what you pay for. Charge more and he will think you’re a better inspector. Best of luck to you.

3 Likes

April. P.lease take note of what I am about to say.
1: Never give a quote on property unseen. Go to Google maps to glean information if you have to and reply you will call them back in to minutes. Yes I can help but I am busy. Talk like a professional.

Replay: Thank you for reaching out. Can I have the MLS or civic address so I can look at the listing.
2: Once you have an idea of what the prices are in your territory charge accordingly.
I typically charge $800 to $850 plus tax for a triplex. That is about 3,000 sq-ft.

Typical multi unit buildings, after 4 units, are rated commercial. You require a commercial insurance.

Want to get your feet wet. Specialize in condos or bungalows. Give a $25 dollar discount through the month.

I charge $650.00 plus tax for a 2.5 story home. This is not a race to the bottom, love. You will not make enough earnings to pay the bills.

1 Like

What’s that? about 350 American?

4 Likes

Thank you so much!!

Hope you and yours are well.
Honestly, $485.49 plus applicable tax. Just a bit under what your commander and chief paid in federal income taxes and much less than the fee he paid Stormy for the around the world. :wink:

2 Likes

April, I am located not too far from you. If you ever have any questions about pricing an inspection or anything else related to, please feel free to PM/DM me. I will be glad to help as much as I can.

5 Likes

Thank you!! I will probably be contacting you for advice then. I’d rather ask questions then keep getting things wrong.

2 Likes