Washer/Dryer Outlets

Originally Posted By: mhenderson
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Hello everyone,

I recently checked an outlet for a washer/dryer.The top outlet was for the dryer...the bottom for the washer...I pulled the top plug out..checked it...it was ok...then plugged it back in...pulled the bottom one..checked it...it checked out ok too...then I pulled them both out...re-checked each one..guess what...OPEN GROUNDS. My only conclusion is that these outlets are grounded thru the appliances themselves
(very-unsafe) since it showed OPEN thats how I reported it.I had the city inspector call me told me I was full of (poop)till I told him I checked the outlet out the 2nd way & found an open ground & asked him which way he did it!! Quiet..no answer then a hang up. ![icon_redface.gif](upload://f7DX2EWhmUfsDapWaYT3oJHMCj1.gif)
WAS I correct? If so, I think this might make a good TIP for inspectors & maybe a practice to start to insure proper grounding.I`ve been checking all grounded applianced outlets since then this way now by making sure nothing is plugged in when I check them..Is this correct?
thanx all,
Mike

Originally Posted By: jmyers

Mike,

Did you by chance plug one of them back in and check it again to make sure your tester was not malfunctioning?

While I would have a agree with the city inspector on that one, very slim chance the appliance would ground the circuit, however it is possible. In that case it would have to be grounded via a gas pipe, water pipe or something along that line, not necessarily attached to the appliance, just touching it would be enough.

Good find. Good tip.

BTW....Our city inspectors around here do not test them at all. Around here they do not even open the panel. Is what he will do it push the test button on the GFCI receptacle to make sure it trips.

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: jfarsetta

Very common on washers to have a sepatate grounding conductor connected from the apploance chassis to a cold water pipe. I installed hundreds of washers in this manner, although some time ago. Maytag used to supply about 10’ of aluminum bare wire, along with a grounding clamp. Loosen chassis screw, connect wire, route to cold water pipe, clamp. It used to be a safety requirement mandated by the manufacturer itself.

Originally Posted By: mhenderson

Joe M,

tester was ok( I use the Ideal Sure Test Circuit Analyzer) however basement was finished so I couldnt see if there was a ground wire attached to any pipes..anyways that really isnt grounded properly at the panel …like I said I just reported it as open & have an electrician check it out…take your pick open ground,weak ground or false ground…I just felt it wasnt grounded properly to get an open ground reading with nothing plugged in..& city inspector still hasnt got back to me yet…LOL…Thanx everyone for the input & good luck to everybody out there!

Mike

Originally Posted By: jmyers

Mike,

That is strange but still a good find and good advice.

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: jhagarty

DELETED

Joseph Hagarty

HouseMaster / Main Line, PA
joseph.hagarty@housemaster.com
www.householdinspector.com

Phone: 610-399-9864
Fax : 610-399-9865

HouseMaster. Home inspections. Done right.

Originally Posted By: rray

I don’t unplug anything from any outlet that is in use, and I tell my Clients that up front. There is a lot of case law that seems to indicate that you either unplug everything or you unplug nothing. I don’t want to be in front of the 13 when the prosecution asks me why I unplugged xxx but did not unplug yyy. And we know that we cannot unplug everything and we cannot test every outlet (I’m not moving furniture). Here’s three standard paragraphs that I put in every report:

Home inspectors as movers?We often get asked why we didn?t move something during the course of our inspection. Insurance concerns is the main answer. We do not know how much an item might have cost its owner, or the special history of any item, so our insurance precludes us from moving something and possibly damaging it. Even the unlikeliest-looking item could be a priceless heirloom. Additionally, if we were to move only one item, case law throughout the nation would require us to move every item. Obviously, time constraints preclude us from taking on that role. Home inspectors are not movers, and we do not know of any movers who are home inspectors. They are two different professions.

Unplugging equipment to test outlets?We do not unplug any item to test an outlet. We have a choice of unplugging every item or unplugging no items. Making decisions on a case-by-case, site-specific or equipment-specific basis would not be fair to all Clients, so we must make a company-wide decision on whether or not to unplug items. Unplugging every item presents problems when there is programmable equipment; sensitive equipment that could be damaged by power surges when plugging the equipment back in or turning it on; lost data from programs running on computers, especially if data had not been saved; or other concerns. In many cases, looking at the equipment?s on/off lights and switches tells us whether the outlet is functioning. Looking at equipment, though, cannot tell us if the outlets are wired or grounded properly. If you have any concerns about any outlet, particularly if it is going to be used for sensitive equipment, have the outlet tested by a qualified electrician.

Turning valves and breakers on?We not only want you to be safe in your new home, we want to be safe while we are inspecting your new home. Therefore, we do not turn any water or gas shutoff valves on, or move any electric circuit breakers to the ?on? position, simply for the reason that we do not know why the valves or breakers were off in the first place. Turning them on without such knowledge can cause property damage, personal injury, and, in a worst case scenario, loss of life.

--
Home inspections. . . .
One home at a time.