Waste and supply lines

Do Waste and supply lines usually have the same defects?

You may need to be more specific. They both can leak. From there, things change radically.

3 Likes

Are they basically made of the same materials?

Typically, No.

James, there is a plumbing class (I don’t know where, just now) that you may benefit from, if you take it

3 Likes

Consider this…
Supply is under pressure, waste is not. How do you think they react to this? The same? Differently?

1 Like

Well if you put it like that I guess yes, they can both leak.

Yes, they do, but if you leave for vacation and a pipe begins to leak… will your basement be flooded with poo when you return?? :flushed:

The short answer is no. Two different systems. You may benefit from the InterNACHI plumbing course, it’s very good.

3 Likes

prolly if it’s a waste line ;~}

seen reports with waistline ya have to wonder where they come from

2 Likes

I have seen both waist line (waste line) and lentil (lintel). Pee-trap is not uncommon either.

1 Like

Backflow preventer failure.

a must remember when dining away from home
or nspectin’

1 Like

Isn’t THAT the truth, Barry! :flushed:

1 Like

Wow! How much poo does the waste lines in your home hold??? :flushed:

1 Like

For me, it depends on how the ol septic is doing. (keep meaning to fix that) :grinning:

2 Likes

both waste & supply during freeze-thaw can & often burst-leak
me living above ground not anywhere near as much as those that build with a portion of their props underground
i always have to consider the trades-hos-diy that can’t seem to get drains or appliance vents sloped to gravity drain in the 1st place
you wouldn’t be surprised @ the # of props i call out during dirt & prepour & those i wind up flooding during final phase just so the builders know i wasn’t shitting in prior reports

you asked & i gave my opinion
we all know that isn’t bulletproof nor correct all the time

regardless happy Memorial Day

1 Like

You, too, Bear! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Supply lines have to be safe for drinking water and for products used in food production. Do not want harmful chemicals leaching in to the water or food.

1 Like

Blockquote

if you notice on a drain pipe. it will say not for Pressure. so the drain line is not manufactured to have any pressure in the pipe. if you were to use a drain pipe as a water supply line it would burst, as most PVC drain lines have a foam core, making them light weight, but very thin PVC walls.

Also if A drain line was to leak or bust when you are on vacation, there would be no damage. as if the line is not being used there would be no mess. there may be a bit of water in the line from rain water getting into the vent pipe on the roof.

But if A water line was to break, the damages would be great, water is the most damaging thing in a home. and the most important to make sure has no problems.
electrical problems are bad too.

1 Like