Water heater electrical wiring

Somebody already did, the picture shows flex cable, the original wiring before someone added the timer, entering the timer box. Every electric water I have ever seen on job sites wired by electricians and inspected by code inspectors used flex to the water heater. It was clearly wired that way before the timer was added.

I don’t see anything to argue about over this we all live in different locations controlled by different AHJ’s if required in Fla so be it write it up its not required in Okla by our AHJ so I don’t write it up the world is not going to end because of a section of romax not protected:shock:

Agreed Erik and the only thing needing protection if it can be proven to susceptible to mechanical damage is the cable to water tank.

Well, if they are calling out rommex exposed, I wonder if they call out no disconnect installed?:slight_smile:

Not if the service panel is “within sight” :wink:

YES.

Well, I haven’t heard anyone mention it yet, so I was asking. :wink:

Someone asked about the list of acceptable means of physical protection. Here is is:

The other approved means may allow for the liquidtight or flex. That is an AHJ call.

Thanks Jim! Key words there is what is accepted by the AHJ. BX is still the choice here. I have however seen many with rigid conduit for the first 18 inches and then NM after it is out of reach from mechanical damage.

Historically known as BX is now called AC Cable.
:slight_smile:

I stand corrected.

Yes this is for those that need better explaining the difference. Technically correct Armored Cable.
http://www.faqs.org/faqs/electrical-wiring/part2/section-5.html

Good point, now we can add 30 or so posts to this thread. :D.

The disconnecting means could be within sight but not visible in the photo or there’s a breaker lockout at the panel.

I figured that would keep the opinions coming. :):wink:

trouble maker…

Ummmm…does anyone still need to know that “Romex” or “Romax” if you are down south is actually a trademark for Southwire. The actual term for it is Nonmetallic Sheathed Cable…let’s all stop calling it ROMEX unless you see Southwire written on the jacket…:wink:

Oh…and remember BX back in the DAY is not the AC of today…:wink:

Paul, the BX of years past that I remember, the conductors were already in it and was used to wire motors more often than not. It had two conductors with no ground wire.

The AC today that I saw used in a hospital that I built, had color coding, two wire with ground and seperate wire, that must have been used as a bonding wire, I don’t know.

Maybe you can elaborate on the subject. :slight_smile:

Why sure I can my dear friend…I kinda know a thing or two about them there products.

The BX from many many many years ago had (2) conductors and was wrapped in a kraft type paper. It’s important to know that the metal sheathing was never evaluated for use as an equipment grounding conductor and while it tends to fool them little (3) light testers…it is in no way considered an equipment grounding conductor in terms of Section 250.118 of the National Exception Code…opps…I mean National Electrical Code…:wink:

Now the AC of today, manufactured with Steel or Aluminum Sheathing is (by nature of its listing) approved as an equipment grounding conductor, provided you use it properly, trim it properly and use the listed fittings properly.

The close cousin of the AC Cable is the MC Cable. Metal -Clad Cable is designed much like the AC Cable except it also contains an equipment grounding conductor and does not use the outer sheathing for such a function. Now with HCF Cable ( or some refer to it is Hospital Grade Cable) the metallic sheathing MUST qualify as an equipment grounding conductor FIRST (in patient care areas) and then it will also have a redundant equipment ground conductor inside. In actuality the outer sheathing is the redundant grounding source but that’s for a whole different topic…maybe at a later date when I actually can go into more detail.

Anyway, one of the key things to take away from this is when doing home inspections you will find BX and AC Cable out their. Note that the BX is usually darker gray, looks aged and will have a Kraft paper since as the dielectric medium. Don’t be fooled when someone places a (3) prong receptacle outlet on one of the old BX Circuits, your light tests fine…but it’s not fine unless its GFCI Protected, labeled Properly and so on, but that also is for a different time and story. Try the same test with a SureTester and you will be illuminated to the difference.

Wow, as usual quite and education there my friend.

Thanks for the explanation, I am sure besides myself, many have learned something.

Hope all is good at NEMA. :):smiley:

Doing well…just running back and forth in Airports. I can’t complain as life is good and I am blessed. So as usual I am awaiting a flight, all my work is done and just kicking back visiting my NACHI friends.