Water heater exhaust flue question

Is this okay? two 90 degree turns, horizontal run and I’m also curious about the flue material.

2 Likes

Thank you Brandon. I had a hunch is was designed for this by the couplings at the ends.

Michael I see these flue connectors all the time on new home inspections. Make sure the flue pipe is still graded at 1/4 inch per foot. Make sure it hasn’t been compressed or crushed. Ensure it is 1 inch away from any combustible materials like that insulation.

1 Like

Thank you Martin!

1 Like

Martin, is it ok that the flex pipe connects this way? It would seem that the rigid would connect to the internal flex. Or maybe a double wall rigid metal with an interior fitting?

looks like it came prefabbed that way. maybe those rivets you pointed at connect to the outer layer, and the ones below it connect to the inner?

3 Likes

Michaels got it Thomas. These are pre-fabricated flexible B vents.

1 Like

Thank you both! Makes sense now. :+1:

1 Like

Is there a manufacturer max bend radius?

Here is another document from metal-fab: https://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/yhst-95622685483394/metalfabbflexmanual.pdf#_ga=2.47354471.1133973251.1631659974-203557449.1631659974&_gac=1.149229892.1631659974.Cj0KCQjwkIGKBhCxARIsAINMioLd8r9TgdoynbkOBM5lZ7nhqkDVNB-jZpJd01bUapv00N3syvrX4TwaAgfPEALw_wcB

All I can see is:

While installing flexible connectors, consideration should be given to the following:
1. Make no unnecessary bends
2. Make no bends greater than 90 degrees
3. Make bends as smooth as possible, with no dips or sags, and
4. Install with at least a 1/4” per foot rise

2 Likes

Nice job Michael.

1 Like

I really appreciate you guys bringing these questions up. It’s pretty much CE for me in that I rarely, if ever see a gas fueled WH. Being in a considered rural area, there is no natural gas lines available. All propane, so electric WH’s are the norm. I appreciate the education though in case I ever come across one the is gas fueled.

3 Likes