Water heater flu question

Can anyone shed some light on a little more information on the “soot” on top of a water heater under the flu vent. It has a coffee grind appearance. Thanks in advance for the insight.

1 Like

Soot or carbon deposits around the exhaust flue of a gas-fired water heater indicates venting or combustion problems.

10 Likes

What he said. ^^^^^^

Welcome, Thomas.

4 Likes

You can plainly see lots of soot particles, pepper sized dots on the surface of the white water heater under the draft hood surrounding the upper heat exchanger assembly collar.
Cause, poor combustion air and poor drafting.

Fuel oil? I be dammed if it is NG or Propane.
You test for CO? Backdrafting?

I spot several issues that need elaboration.
1: Combustion air vents.
2: Either Red Green’s the owner or the homeowner likes the handyman’s secret weapon on the forced air supply/return vents-duct-work.

I agree with Richard on the soot or carbon deposits and will add corrosion from a deteriorated vent pipe.

5 Likes

As above, with the likelihood of back drafting. Minimum, recommend adding a CO detector in that room. Have water heater tested for back drafting, preferably using the procedures of a Combustion Appliance Zone Test.

BTW, the correct spelling is flue. But yes, the hot water heater is sick, maybe with the flu.

7 Likes

Love Red Green…I quote him all the time.
“If women don’t find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.”

2 Likes

Strong evidence of back drafting. Even if doesn’t backdraft while you are there, write it up.

2 Likes

First, it indicates a problem which should be called out IMO. I suspect the exhaust gases are cooling too quickly (inadequate draft) resulting in condensation, rust etc. This is very common with long horizontal run, lack of positive slope or the flue terminates inside a masonry chimney with a clay liner.

It is not unusual for me to see these particulates atop a water heater or furnace, often with newer flue pipe material installed because the old one rusted out. The newer material will likely suffer the same fate unless the cause had been addressed.

5 Likes